Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sweeter than Honey

He will speak to this people,
To whom He said,
"This is the rest with which
You may cause the weary to rest,"
And, "This is the refreshing";
Yet they would not hear.
But the word of the LORD was to them,
"Precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
Line upon line, line upon line,
Here a little, there a little."
Isaiah 28:11-13 (NKJV)

How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through Your precepts I get understanding.
Psalms 119:103-104 (NKJV)

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth—
For your love is better than wine...
Your lips, O my spouse,
Drip as the honeycomb;
Honey and milk are under your tongue.
Song of Solomon 1:2; 4:11 (NKJV)


Two of my children delight in Mommy kisses. Two still tolerate them fairly nicely. The youngest, nearly four, usually loves my kisses, but has moments when he pushes away. Then there are kisses between my husband and me. "Sweeter than honey" only begins to describe those.

To receive God's Word is to receive kisses from One who passionately loves us. I have a confession: when I hit the keyboard combo to open my computer Bible, or turn the cover of my study Bible, my heart beats faster with anticipation. I easily get lost, amazed later at how much time has gone by. The Lord's kisses are more than refreshing, and way sweeter than honey.

Others see a Bible and think, "precept upon precept, line upon line, blah, blah, blah." To them I say, you really don't know what you're missing. Give God's Word a closer, slower read.

Word of God made flesh, Your love is intoxicating—better than wine, better than the finest delicacies, better than anything this life offers. Please give us hearts that long for Your words, gladly receive Your words, and continually think of Your words.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

1 comment:

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)