Blog Archive

Saturday, April 18, 2009

His Holy Name

For You, LORD, are most high above all the earth;
You are exalted far above all gods.
You who love the LORD, hate evil! ...
Rejoice in the LORD, you righteous,
And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.
~ Psalms 97:9-12 (NKJV)

[Satan said to the LORD,] "Stretch out Your hand and touch all that [Job] has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!" ... And [Job] said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD."
~ Job 1:11,21 (NKJV)

I will bless YHWH at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make its boast in YHWH;
The humble shall hear of it and be glad.
Oh, magnify YHWH with me,
And let us exalt His name together.
~ Psalms 34:1-3 (author)


No matter how many times I hear "Oh my God!" I don't get used to hearing the Lord spoken of as an exclamation which pays Him no heed. Even substitutes such as "oh my gosh" or "Jeez" (for Jesus) make me wince.

I've been guilty of having a potty mouth and have no room to condemn anyone. But I now desire to bless His name at all times. My Lord's given me great love for His name and the hunger to have His praise continually in my mouth, boasting of Him before others that they might likewise exalt His holy name.

In the story of Job, Satan's ultimate goal was that Job curse God. It had been said of Job that he made offerings on behalf of his children, lest they had even cursed God IN THEIR HEARTS. Job rebuked his wife's suggestion to "Curse God and die!" so he could be put out of his intense misery.

The greater misery would be the inability to bless the Lord in all circumstances.

Baruch ata Adonai Eloheinu Melach ha Olam! Blessed are You, O Lord our God, King of the Universe! May we bless Your name when You give and when You take away. May we bless You when we rise and when we sleep and every moment in between. With the last breath You lend us, may we bless Your holy name!

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

1 comment:

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)