Blog Archive

Monday, November 22, 2010

God's Need

"Be persuaded, timid soul,
that He has loved you too much to cease loving you."
~ François de la Fenelon



Then Jesus said, "A man had two sons. The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So the father divided his property between them..."
~ Luke 15:11-12 (ISV)


Though this beloved parable has its application for evangelism, it also mirrors two kinds of Christians. The older son is evidently quite capable, has access to his father’s wealth, and does many righteous works. He sees himself as an asset to his father. But he calls his obedience "slavery" or "bondage" (Greek douleuō). His heart has long been distant from his father.

The younger son knows his father’s goodness. His brother’s achievement is painfully obvious. How can he measure up? The feeling of unworthiness surely started long before he first slept with prostitutes and then later with pigs. He is finally forced to confront his inability, destitution bred by squandered wealth, and many wicked deeds.

Both sons measure themselves by capability, resources, and works. Both believe their father uses the same standard. Neither lived a life of closeness to his father, though the father obviously desired it all along.

"So he got up and went to his father. While he was still far away, his father saw him and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, threw his arms around him, and kissed him affectionately."
~ Luke 15:20 (ISV)


I’ve visited the place of both sons. There was a time when I had learned so many amazing things about God and His gifts to me that I thought I'd become an asset to God and could start coasting. When later confronted by how deeply-entrenched my sin is, I regarded myself as unfit to do or give anything worthwhile to God, and therefore unworthy to draw too closely to Him.

The Lord doesn’t regard us as assets or liabilities. He looks past what we have and sees who we are. Having been transfused with His Son’s blood, we've become our Father’s daughters and sons.

We can offer God nothing with our capability, resources, or works. He has sufficient might to create the universe, owns everything in it, and already did His greatest work at Calvary.

But we do have one thing outside the Lord's control and dominion. And He needs it.

Because God is Love, He needs relationship—He needs our freely given love.

God names Himself Father rather than Master. He asks us for relationship rather than service. Even if we encounter His occasional discipline or displeasure, mutual love prevails over all.

If ever at a loss for how to express love for God, a good place to start is giving Him thanks.

: : :

Note: This Thursday, for Thanksgiving, I’ll share with both saved and unsaved women at the local county jail a similar message about feelings of unworthiness and how to draw closer to God by giving Him thanks. I’d be most grateful if you’d take just a moment right now and ask the Lord to use my words in their lives.

I appreciate hearing from you. Questions are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com
comments or e-mail me—my address is
buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com.
Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
Image source:
southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. What a great message for this time of year! I understand our need to be thankful, and I'm also thankful I'm so weak that I need Him constantly. It's not a great feeling to know I'll be weak for as long as I'm spinning on this blue orb, but if the fallback is a stronger relationship with the Lord I have to believe my weakness is by design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T ~

    Of this I am certain: it is the Lord's design that we continually have stronger relationship with Him ... by whatever means.

    I LOVE your photo! Thanks for finally putting up such a great picture. You are way too pretty and have too lovely a smile to ever put up one of those shy pics again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift we've been given. Thank you, Anne, for the words of life you bring to us. Thankful for you today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father God, again i thank You for Your unconditional love towards us. Father i thank You for our sister and her heart towards You. would ask You Lord God....that by Your Spirit, Anne's words burn in their hearts just as Yours did when You spoke. give her Your wisdom and and discernment. open their hearts, Lord God. in the Name above all names. amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan ~

    I think we consider too lightly what it is to be desired by the Almighty. Thank you for you, Susan. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bud ~

    Thank you for your prayer. The message was very well received. It is now a matter of how souls follow through on it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)