Blog Archive

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stranger Danger

“Whoever be our people here, God’s people or the devil’s, death will gather our souls to them.”
~ Thomas Boston

Since hearing that all animals but sheep have some form of natural defense (whether fight, flight, or might), I've tried to find either another utterly defenseless animal, or some defense possessed by sheep.

Sheep are arguably the most stupid of all animals, unable to survive without a shepherd's care. I suspect that the Creator made them so for the sole purpose of comparison to humans in our oblivious, careless, follow-the-flock-over-the-cliff nature.

I finally stumbled upon what appears to be the sole defense sheep have: they understand stranger danger.

"And the sheep follow [their shepherd], for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."
~ John 10:4-5 (NKJV)

Caution of strangers is the first defense against their influence or impact. But once they're around long enough, they're no longer strangers, and that defense is lost.

The more time spent with the Good Shepherd—the more recognizable His voice—the greater the inclination to follow Him instead of strangers, and the greater our security.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand."
~ John 10:27-28 (NKJV)

Lord, You know well how stupid and careless we can be when wrapped up in our interests. Please call us to listen for Your voice, and draw our attention to Your interests. Please help us make choices which keep the enemy unfamiliar. Please keep us alert to his stranger danger.

Comments are welcome (including respectful disagreement) and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2012, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. "My sheep hear My voice..."

    wow Anne! talk about timing! when i read this verse this morning it floored me. last night was a night filled with strange dreams. some were memories. a couple of which involved sheep. then i had an unusual dream that that woke me up. ...and then i heard His voice. i don't how to say this other then maybe to say that hearing His voice still freaks me out a bit. by that i mean prayer life in the old days used to be mostly like a one way conversation with God. His Living Word could speak things to me, but that still small voice was mostly seldom. that incident at the last house group meeting came to mind as i read this. ( actually it's what drove me out of bed at 4 a.m.) after she relayed that message to me from Him in the most unusual fashion.... then this verse/post this morning. Perfect timing.

    btw....thank you for your help in opening up my understanding a bit with these recent posts. it gets tiring trying to get understanding from M. Henry's commentary.

    one of these days i will write about that strange dream. but there's a more pressing need at Hand that i need/desire more:)

    Shalom Anne

    bud ezekiel

    ReplyDelete
  2. To know you hear His voice makes me smile, Bud. I'm glad to know one of my posts is used by Him. Far, far better yet is to know you're hearing Him speak.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)