Wednesday, February 29, 2012

No Darkness But Ignorance

"I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness."
~ John 12:46 (NKJV)

How many forms does darkness take?

Michigan February—when even one extra day stretches the shortest of months into interminable gray and cold—is the least of darkness. True darkness is despair, sin, isolation from God.

I say there is no darkness but ignorance.
~ William Shakespeare

Knowledge is power. However frigid and colorless the landscape, it may be borne in the knowledge that the sun is merely veiled, and an explosion of spring color lies beneath the barren snow.

To know God is to understand His power—and have hope amid the bleakest circumstances. In knowledge of God we recognize sin, so we may repent and ask forgiveness. To discover God's love is to discover the door to fellowship which pierces the deepest loneliness.

Beyond a doubt truth bears the same relation to falsehood as light to darkness.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Whatever other form darkness might take in your life at any moment, seek to know God and bask in the light of His truth.

Lord, Your love and light and life shatter a million forms of darkness. You are all goodness. Please draw us to seek You, and reveal Yourself to us.

Comments are welcome (including respectful disagreement) and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2012, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

18 comments:

  1. Another great post sis, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely welcome, pretty lil bear! ♥

      Delete
  2. It's good to see you back. I needed this this morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm not sure how "back" I am when it takes three days to answer comments. I'm grateful for restful Saturdays, when I can play catch-up. And I'm especially grateful to receive a comment from you, and see your smiling face at my place. I never notice it when I'm on your blog, since I'm looking at all the other stunning photos there. :D

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of when Frodo has the light in the dark cave. Yes, I'm talking Lord of the Rings talk this morning. Must need more caffeine. ;)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this comment, Wendy!

      And, yes, the light of God's truth in the midst of spiritual warfare has very much the same effect as the fictional Light of Earendil in Frodo's battle against the evil spider, Shelob.

      Delete
    2. Wendy and Joe, I'm ashamed to confess only a passing acquaintance with Frodo and Shelob. (That means I sometimes "pass" through the room when the kids are watching the Lord of the Rings movies.) But I'm pleased to think that I've said something reminicent of somethig J.R.R. Tolkien depicted. You both prompt me to spend more time watching the movies ... when I have time. (*sigh*)

      Delete
    3. SO, Wendy and Joe, I was so embarrassed to be ignorant of Frodo and the light that I asked my son to explain. He refused me the one minute explanation I asked for and insisted that he spend about half an hour explaining EVERYthing about the ring and Frodo and the cave, etc. (I don't know where he gets that! : || )

      So now I understand the light. And I think it is so cool—without any connection to lack of caffiene.

      Delete
  4. Yes he is all goodness thanks for this, i needed to hear this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemima, your comment brings to mind this verse:
      This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)

      I'm thankful for you! :D

      Delete
  5. Even in the darkest of night, there is the promise of dawn. That light keeps bringing me back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, don't you think the promise of dawn during the night makes the stars shine that much more brightly while they may be seen?

      Delete
  6. "To discover God's love is to discover the door to fellowship which pierces the deepest loneliness."

    I love this! God's love often, if not always, pierces the darkness we live in and draws us out into the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I think you're safe to say that God's love ALWAYS pierces the darkness we live in and draws us out into the light. It's simply that we don't always go toward the light. Our God is gracious enough to leave the choice with us, and merciful enough to keep drawing us.

      Delete
  7. I love this post, Anne!

    Yes, the light of God's truth never fails to lead us into fellowship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I think holiness gets a bad rap. The light and purity and sheer goodness of God are His holiness. Fellowship with that holiness cannot help but bless us, more abundantly than darkness can EVER curse us.

      Delete
  8. His everlasting Love! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Makala. I'm back, but a little slow on the replies as I remain busier than usual.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)