The Bible frequently makes contrasts between two kinds of people, to make a distinction between those who belong to God and those who have nothing to do with Him:
• the righteous (or blameless) and the wicked (or ungodly);
• the wise and the foolish;
• those who fear God and those who do not;
• the children of God and the subjects of God;
• the faithful and the adulterous;
• the wheat and the tares.
But other times, two kinds of people are contrasted not by what is external and immediately apparent, but by a condition of the heart which is evident only over time. It is a contrast made between those who abide in Jesus Christ and His words, and those who are merely "externally and mechanically attached to Him" (using the words of Jamieson, Fausset and Brown):
• those who walk according to the Spirit and those who walk according to the flesh;
• the good servant and the lazy servant;
• the fruitful and the unfruitful.
"Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full."
~ John 16:24 (NKJV)
Any one of us can be the kind of people who ask God to indulge human will and attach "in-Your-name-amen" at the end of our words.
"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."
~ John 15:7-8 (NKJV)
But only some of us will prove to be the kind of people who so deeply root ourselves in Jesus that we produce the astonishing spiritual fruit of prayers which glorify the Father to the extent that He does not deny them.
Lord, please make us this kind of people, that You may be glorified.
Comments are welcome (including respectful disagreement) and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2012, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
- ► 2013 (25)
- Comfort Food
- Alone in a Crowd
- Two Kinds of People
- High Risk Occupation
- Commandment Number 13, Conclusion: Radical Joy
- Commandment Number 13, Part Four: Spiritual Tightr...
- Commandment Number 13, Part Three: Just One Thing
- Commandment Number 13, Part Two: Payback Time
- Commandment Number 13, Part One: Impossible Love
- Stress Test
- How Deep
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2011 (177)
- ► 2010 (216)
- ► 2009 (369)