Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Jealousy

"Go and cry in the hearing of Jerusalem, saying,
'Thus says the LORD:
"I remember you,
The kindness of your youth,
The love of your betrothal ...
What injustice have your fathers found in Me,
That they have gone far from Me,
Have followed idols,
And have become idolaters? ...
For My people have committed two evils:
They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,
And hewn themselves cisterns—
Broken cisterns that can hold no water.
...You lay down, playing the harlot." ' "
~ Jeremiah 2:2,5,13,20 (NKJV)

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, "The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously"?
~ James 4:4-5 (NKJV)

The Bible uses an vivid image to portray idolatry: adultery.

Does anything else in human experience ignite wrath like finding a spouse in bed with someone else? Human jealousy needs no explanation.


The Lord views idolatry with the same jealousy. We see ourselves as far too sophisticated to bow before a piece of metal, wood or stone. We forget that seeking satisfaction from the world is the New Testament’s definition of idolatry, and is also called adultery.

The Lord offers abundant living waters. To show preference for offerings from the dry and broken cistern of this world rightly ignites the jealousy of the Spirit who dwells within us.

Beloved Bridegroom, You paid a great price to make available the living waters of Your Spirit. You satisfy as nothing else. Please give us discernment between the godless, the goodly and the godly. Please powerfully woo our hearts so we'll both seek Your face and woo You with our own love.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. I love learning from you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful analogy, the Lords abundant living waters compared to the dry broken cistern of the world. powerful imagery. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise and T. Anne, I'm always grateful for your lovely compliments and I feel humbled by them every time.

    But T. Anne, I don't think I can take any credit for this one--it goes to Jeremiah.

    Hope you're feeling better. You remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Anne,

    Instead of metal, I've put memories or a person or a goal in that place reserved for God. Wonderfully convicting post and reminder that daily I need to ask God to "powerfully woo my heart." I just loved that term!!!
    I thank God for you today,
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful words, Anne. Dare I ever trade the abundant living waters for the dry and broken cistern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Anne, this post convicts the heart.

    I have fashioned many an idol out of the things of this world. I've made idols out of the contents of my wallet, the things in my refrigerator. I've bowed down at the altar of mankind's approval and self-glory. I've thrown down idols, and backed away, only to pick them up again.

    You inspire, Anne Lang Bundy. I've quietly popped in from time to time, pausing over words here. And I will be back soon.

    Thank you for your ministry here at "Building His Body."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, your encouraging words are deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)