Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bought the Farm

image source: Military Websites


I recently watched a presentation in which the expression "bought the farm" was used to describe that someone has sunk everything they have into what they believe. Having rarely heard the idiom, I did a little research.

Evidently the Brits used the expression "bought the plot" as a euphemism for death well before WWII, which is when Americans began saying of a warrior killed in battle that he'd "bought the farm." Among various explanations is the suggestion that a the mortgage on a soldier's farm back home would be paid off with his death benefit. My favorite synonymous definition offered in explanation of "bought the farm" is this one:

His war is over.



For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
~ 2 Corinthians 10:4 (ESV)


Is there a more apt metaphor for this Christian life than war?

The good soldier understands the need for immediate compliance without question, complaint or argument. He maintains good communication with his authority. He does not hesitate to use initiative when the situation calls for it. While called to serve in a land where he is not a citizen, he remembers the place of his citizenship and represents it with honor. Though he may be taxed to the limits of his strength and skill, he will find a way to push forward and endure.

The soldier's hours include times of rest when duty is fulfilled, and times to train or do battle. He must receive one as well as the other. For whether he lays down the right to his life as his own during his years of service, or lays down his life in the ultimate sacrifice, the life once his has been voluntarily committed to a greater good.



... the time of my release is here. I have fought the good fight. I have finished the course. I have kept the faith... the crown of righteousness is laid up for me ...
~ 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (LITV)


Each Christian will have bought the farm on a last day of service, when his or her war is over in this foreign world and we receive a crown for battles waged between good and evil.

Perhaps the most significant battle we face each day is the decision to reenlist, sinking all we are and have into the King's service, our lives committed to following Him wherever He leads in attainment of something greater than ourselves.


I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.
~ Galatians 2:20 (NKJV)


Lord, please inspire and enable us to live in such a way that each day's end brings the peace a good soldier knows when his or her war is over.

: : :

This post is part of a blog carnival hosted by Peter Pollock. You're invited to visit his site and see what others are saying about today's theme: FARM.

Your comments, questions, and respectful disagreement are most appreciated. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com comments, or e-mail buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com

14 comments:

  1. Great post, Anne! I've been struggling with my day-to-day lately, and am trying to get back on track. Your post is both uplifiting and prudent, given Memorial Day and all (and that was probably the point). Thank you for your wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopped by. I've been feeling restless and dissatisfied with my blog list. I still enjoy them, but needed some different input. God lead me here this morning. Thank you for helping clear my head to ready me for my job as a high school teacher. This is finals week and my Christian walk is often tested most at this time.

    Your words "Perhaps the most significant battle we fight each day is the decision to reenlist, sinking all we have into the King's service. . ." This hit home for me. Thank you for being faithful to God in writing these words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to write about "farm." I almost didn't write anything at all because I was blank. So it's been interesting to see all the different views of it. Yours is very good. I didn't know the meaning behind "bought the farm" so thanks for explaining.

    Yes, I look forward to my end when I can "buy the farm", end the war, and rest eternally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post, Anne! Very meaningful! Be blessed as you bless others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. And how blessed are we to know the war has laready been won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farms do cost!! Money and lives too! War is expensive and the plots are many here and also in other lands.

    May we labor for our Lord laying down our life for His cause. My farm is already paid for at great cost. Jesus bought it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. most are so far removed from farming and the growing of food. i am not sure that there are too many children that even know what a farm is.

    just the same, there are many who don't know about the spiritual war or what the armor is that we are to take and use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ralene ~

    I understand the toll that day-to-day war can take on a person. How blessed we are to know Him in Whom our souls can find rest, in any hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B ~

    I see we follow some of the same blogs. I ask the Lord on your behalf, that in visiting here you find yourself drawn closer to Him Who stills the heart and guides the mind in perfect paths of peace. He is the balm to soothe and the life to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa ~

    It seems each day brings opportunity for another war to be over, until that day we realize the victory of the war already won.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mari-Anna ~

    Your words are always so uplifting! Thank you for taking time to share them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karin ~

    Knowing the war has been won gives the strength for all these battles the enemy wages as he attempts to inflict maximum collateral damage before his demise. He can cause real loss if we fail to resist him and being used by him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nance marie ~

    It's so easy to be distracted by what we see! I'm always grateful when our family has opportunity to pluck produce from the earth and take meat from an animal we must look in the eye. I'm so blessed to know people like you, who speak often of the simpler ways in which God created us to live, even as you comprehend the unseen and unpleasant realities this world thrusts upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hazel Moon ~

    May we indeed give our all for Him Whose blood purchased us! We do not serve a remote king, but follow the King of kings, Who leads us in battle and invites us to fight at His side.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)