Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Jesus' Last Days V –
Feast of Words

Today is Tuesday. Scripture records more of Jesus' teachings for this single day than any other. Just over five percent of the entire New Testament relates the words of Jesus spoken on the Tuesday before His death.

"Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them."
~ Mark 11:22-24 (NKJV)

Jesus begins the day with the above exhortation. He goes on to verbally spar with and utterly vanquish various members of Jewish leadership. He rebukes religious hypocrites. He affirms both a scribe who understands the heart of the law—love the Lord and love neighbor (Mark 12:28-34)—as well as the destitute widow who gives more with two mites than any rich man (Luke 21:1-4). He describes in detail for His disciples (and us!) the signs to accompany His second coming. He tells numerous parables.

The day is a feast of words like no other.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.… And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
~ John 1:1,14 (NKJV)

Here is the Word of God in all His glory, wielding truth and displaying grace.

The Word of God made flesh closes His last day of public teaching by describing one of the final events humanity will experience as our era closes. It well sums up the heart of all else Jesus has taught.

"Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry … thirsty … a stranger … naked … sick … in prison …?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.' Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels … Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' "
~ Matthew 25:34-41, 45 (NKJV)

Comments are welcome (including respectful disagreement) and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – use @gmail.com *after* buildingHisbody
Copyright 2013, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. These verses have always motivated me to do so much more than I otherwise would do. I guess that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mary. It's interesting to me that Jesus' words about "inasmuch as you did it to the least of these, you did it to Me" keep popping up in my life lately. I've no doubt that God is expanding my capacity for compassion—as well He should. No matter how much we feel we are living out love, God continues to show us how very, very big His love really is.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)