Blog Archive

Thursday, April 1, 2010

One Hour

this is what it means to be held how it feels
when the sacred is torn from your life
and you survive

this is what it is to be loved and to know
that the promise was when everything fell
we'd be held.

if hope is born of suffering—
if this is only the beginning—
can we not wait for one hour
watching for our Savior? *


One Hour

Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
~ James 1:2-3 (NKJV)

"When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed... the end is still to come... There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains."
~ Mark 13:7-8 (NIV)

Then He came and found them sleeping, and said "... Could you not watch one hour? Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
~ Mark 14:37-38 (NKJV)


My memory does not recall a time before now with so many urgent prayer needs to bring before the Lord on behalf of loved ones tried to the limits of their endurance. They've usually seen something solid crumble or something sacred lost—health, marital or financial stability, the life of someone close. In such trials, a person can either declare God cruel and turn from Him, or cling to Him desperately in prayer and ask for others to pray.

I believe that when Jesus spoke of a season of birth pains occurring in end times, He spoke of birth pains to come upon not only the world as a whole but also individuals. As great pressure seizes a woman's body until a baby arrives, unprecedented pressures will seize the world until Jesus arrives. They will try us and thereby prove where our faith lies.

Jesus faced such pressure. On the night before His ultimate trials, He drew upon His Father's strength in prayer, and asked His loved ones to pray with Him. I wonder—had they known all that lay at the door, would they have slept? Or would they have prayed in earnest and held Jesus tightly, imparting to Him love and comfort and the strength of their own lives?

In time of trial, we may feel like Paul, who said, "We were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life." Like Paul, we must cling to the Lord in prayer to persevere, asking others to strengthen us with their own prayers. His promise is not to give us relief from trial, but to uphold us in the midst of trial.

The trials last but one hour. Our God's hold will last for an eternity.

Lord, You are all-sufficient for our every need. We are feeble children of dust, with willing spirit and weak flesh. Please draw us to Your side. Please hold us tightly, and impart Your strength to us until our hour passes. Thank You for promising to not leave us nor forsake us.

Your feedback is appreciated. Post to
BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
#hope
*Lyrics from "Held" by Christa Wells © 2001 Weimarhymes Publishing Inc.
Artwork: "I Will Not Fail Thee," by Derek Hegsted,
hegsted.com

12 comments:

  1. I am clinging tightly to the hem of His garment, never letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cling to Him, dear Denise. He is holding you and lovebug. He will not let you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He will not let you fall. I cling to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just talk about this with one sister in Christ who goes through hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly what I needed to read today. I'll be back to read it again for certain.

    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Relationships. Work. Church. Finances. All of these weigh down on us. And although I am man and don't understand 'birth pains," i can understand the metaphor. We are being pushed and tried at every level. The end result ....is His.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you again (!!!)Anne for this reminder. sometimes in our struggles it's all too easy to forget. you're always encouraging me and even when i can't understand or accept the circumstances...you continue to encourage me.
    i appreciate Him for this post today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne,
    Sometimes I feel myself wanting to turn away from him. Thanks for a wise reminder of the better way.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had just read Habakkuk 3:17-19 AMP before stopping here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. T ~ And since I still stumble so much, I'm most grateful for that.

    Natasa ~ The thing about pain is that it seems to expand time. It never seems like one hour.

    Wendy ~ I've no doubt I'll be back myself. Believe it or not, I come back and read my own posts for reminders.

    David ~ I suspect that your inability to know birth pains doesn't compromise your understanding in the least.

    Bud ~ You encourage me. Really. And thanks.

    Jeff ~ I hate to admit that I get that. And I also know that praise under pressure counts for more than praise amid pleasure.

    Susan ~ I'm so grateful for you to bring that passage to mind. Someone else read it to me on Sunday, so you've now confirmed that I need to take careful note of those words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm thankful to Him that He leads me to posts in the back forty that i need to chew on. there's always been something here for me. i'm in a battle of my life right now. i was thinking about the prodigal son earlier. i know you've spent a lot of time praying for me. i feel like i've squandered the wealth of prayers you offered to Him on my behalf already. but i surely need some extra prayer now. i need a breakthrough with Him. feel like i'm fighting too many battles and in some of them i'm on the wrong side of the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bud, prayer is never, ever, NEVER squandered. It is always time spent with our precious Lord. The answers are always forthcoming, in whatever manner and timing His wise and gracious hand deems best.

    Though we always need to be in contact with Him, never more so than in the hour of battle. He is holding you, Bud. Cling to Him. I ask Him to enable you to believe that He is working good for you because you love Him.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)