Blog Archive

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Come, Follow, Go – Part III
How Far Will You Go?

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me."
~ from Luke 9:23-24 (NKJV)


"Go into all the world" need not bring fear of the globe's distant corners. The missionary heart called to Timbuktu can hardly wait to get there.

Consider more terrifying places: upon the daily cross, we crucify the flesh where sin and death linger; in the heart's mirror, we behold our unlikeness to the Master and yield to His makeover; at the soul's sacred altars—where we pray "anything but that!"—we destroy idols which enslave us.

Yet "we do not lose heart"! Wherever our Lord sends us, He accompanies us. Wherever His Spirit leads, we discover new liberty.


"Most of God's people are content to be saved from the hell without;
they are not so anxious to be saved from the hell within."
~Robert M. McCheyne

Comments, questions, and respectful disagreement are welcome.
Reply via comments at BuildingHisBody.com,
or e-mail buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Yes too many people are happy to settle for far less than they could achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Far Will You Go?
    "...we pray "anything but that!"

    Interesting timing of your post as just the day before yesterday I removed every movie from our household that takes the Lord's name in vain (even once), or had inappropriate sexual content in it (sadly about 70% of our collection). Needless to say this did not go over so well with my family. Curt would not let me destroy them as I wanted to, but I told him I please wanted them completely off our property when he left for work the next day, which he obliged me by doing just that.

    Titles that I will personally miss: Spiderman, Ironman, Jaws, Return to Me, Rocky Balboa, Tombstone, The Shawshank Redemption, and the Illusionist just to name a few.

    I can't say that they were "enslaving" us but I suppose in some ways they were considering the reaction that I got from everyone.

    May nothing in my life be more sacred than my Lord! One battle down (sorta) and a thousand more to go (if God is gracious enough).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odie, I don't recall who said that the world has yet to see what God can do with that person fully devoted to Him. Oh that we had the courage to give ourselves without reserve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I'm truly humbled to hear of your boldness. I cannot imagine how heavily this must have weighed upon you, and how difficult it will be for some time to come. Please know that I will pray for you and the family. Among other things, I ask God to reveal to Curt some unmistakable and undeniable blessing directly related to this action, that his heart might not question his support of you. I love you! I've told you before what an inspiration to me you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the "anything but that!" can bring agony, and sometimes crisis...it did for me a couple of years ago, when God wanted to know if I cherished Him more than what He *may* be calling me to do. For a while the lines blurred--after all, if joy is in the calling, isn't that joy from the Lord? And if the joy is from the Lord, isn't it good? But coveting joy is just another idol we chase that comes far short of the completeness of Christ.

    By God's grace, I care less for self and the things of this world and more for Christ as I continue to walk with Him. I am nothing but a weak, broken vessel, and could never affect such a change myself. I have nothing to do with it. All glory and honor and power and praise to the Lamb of God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gwen, isn't it funny how joy is as elusive as humility when we pursue the emotion rather than the God who gives it? Amazing how generous our God with ALL the best things when we run after only Him!

    Yes, all glory and honor and power to our beloved Lord!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)