Friday, May 4, 2012

Failure

While all four Gospels include the account of Peter's denial of Jesus, only Mark—(consistently distinguished by attention to intriguing detail)—notes that Jesus said Peter's three denials would occur before the rooster crowed twice.

And when [the servant girl] saw Peter warming himself, she looked at him and said, "You also were with Jesus of Nazareth." But he denied it, saying, "I neither know nor understand what you are saying." And he went out on the porch, and a rooster crowed.
~ Mark 14:67-68 (NKJV)

Can you feel how torn Peter might have been? Though willing to fight, the possibility of defense with a sword has been eliminated. He is no doubt alert, yet weary after a night of pitifully little sleep. Having been singled out as a lone and defenseless disciple of Jesus among powerful enemies, Peter moves away from the fire to the porch (or vestibule) where he might be both a step away from his exit, yet still in proximity to His Lord.


Having denied His Lord once, does the cock's first crow signal a reminder warning of Jesus' prophecy? Perhaps Peter even considered leaving, but convinced himself he would not fail again.


I began this post thinking of the importance in heeding the warnings we receive—those promptings from the Holy Spirit to speak up when we will to remain silent, or to remain silent when we think to speak; to take action when it is more comfortable to walk away; to cease and desist when we venture into the territory of trespass.


But writing about the Bible can be take the same twists as reading the Bible. I am reminded that I am more like Peter than like Christ. My empathy lies not with my Lord who has been denied amid His torture, but with my brother Peter who loves Him and is crushed to fail Him. How often have I, like Peter, responded to the Spirit's warnings by bolstering myself with thoughts of willing spirit and underestimated weak flesh?


How often do I feel more sorry to think myself a failure than to feel sorry that I have failed my Lord?


My Lord, I love You with all my heart. I am pained to think of how I've denied You today in my weak flesh. I'm sorry to cause You grief, when You always seek to bless me. Please help me! Please help every person reading these words, that we might bring You more joy than sorrow.

"For I will forgive their iniquity,
And their sin I will remember no more."
~ Jeremiah 31:34 (NKJV)

Comments are welcome (including respectful disagreement) and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2012, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. And that's the greatest thing about Christ...no matter how many times we deny Him, He is always there to forgive us. Of course, there is always the thought that if He is always there to forgive us, why do we keep denying Him? Great post Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do we keep denying Him, Ed? Because our eyes are more upon this world than upon His Kingdom. We see the temporal more readily than we see the eternal. We are too easily distracted by the physical than intent upon the spiritual. Our need for Him is great! His grace is greater.

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful post sis, love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are wonderful, Denise! I love you too :D ♥

      Delete
  3. I have spent so much of my life wrapped in failure. Were teh expectations too high, or the reality too low? I don't know, but the disconnect was huge.

    Grace is a great concept, but finding a way to tamper down failure is a life's pursuit for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ask, David, if the expectations were too high, or the reality too low. I think it is neither, but that our expectations don't take reality into account. Aren't our expectations to have a life of stability, of peace, of strength? We forget that we live in a world of upheaval, in time of war, in weak flesh. And so we go into each day with too little dependence on God.

      Grace is only a concept to mortals, while it defines divinity and divine response. Those who live by law neither comprehend nor receive grace, and make poor vessels of grace. To live by the spirit is to accept grace and become a source through which God pours out grace to others.

      Consider this passage:
      And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." But he said to Him, "Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death." Then He said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me." (Luke 22:31-34 NKJV)

      Our difficulty is less in finding a way to tamper down failure, and more in overcoming the pride (which I share with you!) that is first inclined to wallow in failure rather than to immediately "return" to Jesus and "strengthen" others. Face it—we are failures living among failures! And so, mindful of the grace we failures daily receive, we give a portion of it to the failures around us.

      As Ann Voskamp would say, "All is grace." For the Red Letter Believers, grace must be more than a concept!

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)