Blog Archive

Monday, November 17, 2008

Almost Stumbled

But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
My steps had nearly slipped.
For I was envious of the boastful,
When I saw the prosperity of the wicked...
I went into the sanctuary of God;
Then I understood their end...
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
(Psalms 73:2-3,17,25-26 NKJV)

Do not be deceived: "Evil company corrupts good habits."
(1 Corinthians 15:33 NKJV)

So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way.
(Romans 14:12-13 NKJV)

In the movie The Razor's Edge, Bill Murray's character seeks out a mountain guru and is told, "It's easy to be a holy man on a mountain." Indeed, even the first man to sin asserted he did so because of the company God gave him.

We might more easily avoid certain sin if not for provocation by the boastful, proud and wicked. But in the end, when we each give an account to God, we can blame nothing on another. Each one answers for self. If provoked, we must immediately turn to God and seek the strength of His Spirit to respond.

He is also the Supreme Justice of the highest court in the universe. If injustice prevails here and now, we can rest in the assurance that the Judge of all the Earth is in control of the outcome, both in immediate future and in eternity, whether we or another has done wickedly.

Oh El Elyon—God Most High—what are we without You? You clothe us with Your righteousness so we may stand in Your presence. You grant both deliverance-salvation and freedom-salvation from sin. Please keep us from stumbling, and from provoking anyone else to stumble.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)