Blog Archive

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Song of Love

Now let me sing for my most Beloved
My song of love about His vineyard:
My Beloved has a vineyard on a very fruitful hill.
He dug around it and cleared out its stones,
And planted it with the choicest vine.
He built a tower in the middle of it,
And also made a winepress in it.
Then He looked for it to bring forth good grapes,
But it brought forth worthless grapes.
Isaiah 5:1-2 (author)

I love you, O YHWH my Strength.
YHWH is my Cleft of the Rock, my Stronghold,
My Deliverer, my God,
My Rock of Refuge, my Shield,
The Power of my Salvation, my Lofty Tower.
Psalm 18:1-2 (author)

[Jesus] said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep." (John 21:17 NKJV)

Scripture admonishes and even commands us above all else to love God. Devotion is expressed in many actions throughout the Bible. But I find only three instances of love for God specifically declared to Him.

If love is demonstrated, is it even important to tell God, "I love you" or sing Him a song of love?

Words have power. When romance blooms, the declaration "I love you" marks a defining moment. Casual relationship is no longer an option. Surrender and ownership have begun. I must either have you or you will break my heart. I cannot define life without you affecting it, for better or worse.

Religion is easy. God gives me heaven and I give Him duty. When my duty is done I'm off the clock. A love relationship demands all, even life itself. My acts of devotion may be faith and duty, or perhaps they rise to love.

It is good to declare where one stands.

LORD God, I'm crazy in love with You. I cannot live without You. I'll do anything for You, and when I don't would You please trip me up so I come to my senses. You own me completely, and You can do with my life as pleases You. I ask that You let me see Your face, hear Your voice, taste Your goodness, experience the fragrance of Jesus, and know Your touch of peace. Every day.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

1 comment:

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)