Blog Archive

Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Pledge Allegiance ...

Today's post is written with love for my nation and is dedicated to my sister Mary, who challenged me to write on a topic which proved far more difficult than I anticipated.



I Pledge Allegiance ...

... to the flag of the United States of America ...

My country’s flag fills me with pride. It has long represented a nation which has been a hero to deliver allies in time of war, which has shown compassion to enemy and ally alike in disaster, which has represented Christian values and principles to the world.

... and to the republic for which it stands ...

Other than the Bible, no other writing receives my reverence as does my government's constitution.

... one nation, under God, indivisible ...

My homeland is worthy to defend with my life and blood, against foreign invasion, infiltrator's attack, or traitorous subversion.

... with liberty and justice for all.

I see my nation's gross failures. I yet love her for all she has aspired to be. She remains the greatest world power in history. I am grateful to my Creator that I am a citizen of the United States of America.


allegiance noun : the fidelity owed by a subject or citizen
to his sovereign or government



I do not hesitate to salute the American flag. I respect those who speak the Pledge of Allegiance. There may be a day when my perspective changes about what it means to pledge my allegiance to my government, when I am willing to do so.

I have spoken marriage vows by which I live. It does not seem unreasonable to likewise speak a pledge of allegiance for the nation to which I am loyal. Yet the words stick in my throat, and I do not speak them.

Because words have power. And I am determined to remember my only Sovereign.

To Him alone I give absolute allegiance.

For the LORD is our judge,
the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king;
it is he who will save us.
~ Isaiah 33:22 (NIV)


Your feedback is appreciated. Post to BuildingHisBody.com
Comments or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved..
Image source:
rechargenews.com

9 comments:

  1. "it is he who will save us." That's all I need to know. Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always you put a great deal of thought into what you write ... blessings of peace and freedom this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you sis, this was beautiful. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to put it. Loved this, Anne. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. quote:

    To Him alone I give absolute allegiance.

    ...i liked that:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth ~ Thank you. I had a busy, fun and worshipful fourth. I hope you were likewise blessed.

    T ~ Indeed! He is sufficient.

    Susan ~ Yes. You are a master of powerful brevity. Your example is my goal.

    Denise ~ Thank you. This was another of those thoughts I wasn't anxious to make public until challenged.

    Jason ~ I'm always blessed by your comments. :D

    Bud ~ I think I could recite the Pledge if it always followed worship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I substitute for elementary classes and every morning the pledge is spoken. I found myself often questioning my loyalty. We are raised not to question such things, but I believe we should question everything...even our faith. Not in the sense of doubt, but so that we may fully understand (as much as possible) and hold to what we believe.

    Thanks!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head, Tim. I tell my kids constantly to examine whatever I teach them (we home school) or anyone else teaches them against the Bible. I encourage them to arrive at their own faith, because mine will not carry them through the years ahead—their own faith must do that.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)