Blog Archive

Monday, March 23, 2009

Put to Death

Nothing devoted, which shall be devoted of men, shall be redeemed, but shall surely be put to death.
~ Leviticus 27:29 (MKJV)

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
~ Galatians 2:20 (NKJV)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish.
~ Psalms 73:25-27 (NKJV)


Most translations of this passage from Leviticus refer to "no man" rather than "nothing" being unredeemable. (The more literal translations are similar to the above quote.) In context, it is clear that some things or people could be set aside for God and later redeemed; but some were devoted to Him, whether put to death (as a sacrifice) or to belong to Him until death.

The New Testament is less ambiguous. To receive life in Christ—eternal, resurrection life—is to go to death with Christ. It is to no longer have a life of one's own at all.

No complaint here. The psalmist says, "there is none upon the earth that I desire besides You." That "none" includes me. The life I once desired was on a path to death and no good to me. The solution? Go ahead and be put to death, and experience Christ in me, the strength of my heart.

Lord Jesus, You know the depth of human agony apart from You. To know You, living in me, is the only life I want. Please Lord, use me, my words, my life, all I am to bring others to more fully know life in You. Please enable all of us to sacrifice whatever makes more room for You.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, use me Lord. Here I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Third Day has a song called 'Offering' stating that I am the offering to you Lord it's not much but it's what I got. I love your post Anne! I look forward to them immensely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)