Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Get Understanding

I have more understanding than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation...
Make Your face shine upon Your servant,
And teach me Your statutes.
~ Psalm 119:99,135 (NKJV)


A good teacher imparts knowledge in a way the student can grasp. An excellent teacher goes beyond transfer of information and imparts the wisdom to apply knowledge.

The exceptional teacher may also lead a student to understanding—the "aha!" moment of comprehending the power of knowledge and wisdom.

Yet understanding is not a gift from the teacher. In the favor of His face shining upon us, the Lord alone grants the understanding that empowers us to take anything we learn and use it for something of enduring significance—in our lives and the lives of those we love.


Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
~ Proverbs 4:7 (NKJV)

Comments, questions, and respectful disagreement are welcome.
Reply via comments at BuildingHisBody.com,
or e-mail buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

8 comments:

  1. Spotted the writing on a guys tee-shirt recently and it said:

    Tell me and I will forget.
    Teach me and I will remember.
    Involve me and I will never forget.

    Benjamin Franklin

    i guess to gain understanding requires the Holy Spirit and that requires involvement. been trying to understand the proverb to bind mercy and truth around my neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, thank you for this timely reminder for a teacher. The wisest thing I can do is pray for my students and ask God to lead me to the right words and actions for every one. No wisdom comes from me; much wisdom comes from the Spirit.

    God bless you today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to know the coolest thing? Last night I met up with one of the h.s. girls I used to lead (now in college). As we were talking and praying I realized *she* was teaching me powerful messages.

    It was a truly rewarding experience.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Anne, great post and very good comments too. A great way to start my Thursday. Have a great one and thanks.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bud, even knowledge becomes a stumbling block if we don't have the Holy Spirit.

    Yes, I think I caught a glimpse of that mercy and truth. Keep seeking, Sojourner. Our time here is fleeting.

    Jeremiah 29.13

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gwen, I have full confidence that God uses you to bring understanding into the darkness—and that great is your reward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, we will never fail to be blessed while we remain teachable. I've learned so much more from my children than I would have ever thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Odie, I'm glad this landed in your lap at day's beginning. For now, I'm not scheduling my blogging, so I'm blessed to know this arrived in His timing. : )

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)