Blog Archive

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Necessary Tension


A trivial fascination of mine is the simplicity and necessity of springs. Some pull, some push. They continually surprise me in the discovery of how microscopic or mammoth they can be—of how critical they are to the function of everything from door latch to DVD player.

Their purpose is to provide necessary tension. If constantly at tension, they cease to be functional. If never at tension, they fail to serve their purpose.


For You, O God, have tested us;
You have refined us as silver is refined.
You brought us into the net;
You laid affliction on our backs.
You have caused men to ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water;
But You brought us out to rich fulfillment.
~ Psalms 66:10-12 (NKJV)


Though God's refinement and washing bring new opportunities for rich fulfillment, they also bring the necessary tension of being stretched and pressed.

If we're constantly at tension, we flirt with dysfunction. But if never at tension, we've little opportunity to fulfill our purpose:


Come and hear, all you who fear God,
And I will declare what He has done for my soul.
~ Psalms 66:16 (NKJV)


Lord, how thankful I am that Your wisdom rather than our comfort decides when and how necessary tension enters our lives. Please make us faithful to fulfill our purpose. Please open our souls to receive refinement and washing, and to realize true fulfillment.

Comments, questions, and respectful disagreement are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com comments, or e-mail buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my. I've never thought about the 'pushing' of tension. i tend to think about the pull -- the pull away from important things. But tension also pushes me to righteosness. You always give mmy brain a little tension Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm:) this post has had me here for quite awhile. in my mind/spirit/soul there's been a variety of reactions. yes, yes, yes,....no! there isn't any confusion about it, which is good.

    in regards to your prayer, i have to say AMEN! yet...i admit that there's a struggle or unwillingness to opening that door of my soul because i'd much rather hold onto that comfort zone a bit longer. when i read that, the wordscame to mind of "open wide the gates" which also brought to mind the verse from Jer. 17:7 which has been glued to my mind. it's the difference of an attitude in trust towards Him. yeah Anne:).....i like this post and it's sticking already. \o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. David ~

    I want to provide some healthy tension here. I also want to provide respite amid the tension. I pray that you experience both when you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bud ~

    There's so much comfort in knowing that the Lord knows how much tension to apply, how much rest to provide. If only we never resisted Him. (*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lots of tension going on here this week with a basement needing emptying of water ... lots of water ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan ~

    I'm so sorry! I pray (please, Lord) that nothing irreplacable and meaningful is beyond salvage. Been there, done that, and my heart goes out to you. May the tension be relaxed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the toys that most fascinated me as a kid was the slinky. I loved watching it walk down the stairs all by itself. You get both the push and the pull there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyla ~

    I LOVE Slinkys. But I never figured out how to keep them in good condition. They must be more of a toy for grown ups, cause kids seem to kill em.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)