Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Friend

"But you, Israel, are My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen,
The descendants of Abraham My friend...
For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand,
Saying to you, 'Fear not, I will help you.'
Fear not, you worm Jacob."
Isaiah 41:13,18-19 (NKJV)

Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham's offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all. As it is written: "I have made you a father of many nations." ~ Romans 4:16-17 (NIV)

"You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know what his master is doing. But I call you friends." ~ John 15:14-15 (NCV)


Who but God would call us both "My friend" and "you worm" in the same discourse? Though spoken through Isaiah to Abraham's descendants Israel, the words may readily be applied to the people of faith called "Abraham's offspring" by Paul and "friends" by Jesus.

Faith is the evidence which proves every Word spoken by unseen God, whether audibly to Abraham or as recorded by Scripture. Faith accepts Jesus as crucified Savior and Living Lord. Faith gratefully does whatever He asks.

Gratitude also remembers the heritage of being a worm—sinful, condemned wretches without hope except for our Creator's amazing grace and abundant mercy. We are royally clothed riff-raff, imposters before His throne until He recognizes the blood of His Son which covers us, extends His scepter, and declares, "My Friend."

My Lord and my God, how is it that You should want me as friend? How is it that You should cover me with Your Son's blood and see me without condemnation? Please let the same heart which hears you lovingly whisper "friend" also discern Your good will and leap to do it.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy

2 comments:

  1. I am so thankful that we have an amazing friend and Lord... Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)