Blog Archive

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mine!


a psalm [by] David
when he was in the wilderness of Judah
O God [Elohim]
my God [El-iy] thou
I seek thee
thirsts for thee my soul
faints for thee my flesh
in a land dry and weary
where no water is
so in holiness
I have looked upon thee
beholding thy power and glory
because better thy steadfast love than life
my lips will praise thee
so I will bless thee as long as I live
on thy name I will lift up my hands
~ Psalm 63:1-4
(From the Analytical Key to the Old Testament
word-for-word English translation of the Hebrew)


The following words were posed on Facebook by my sister:

What can you not live without?

I didn't think of stuff I treasure most, such as photos of loved ones or wood stove. Neither the corner of our cozy house reserved to me for writing or the niche I call my prayer closet came to mind as favorite haunts. Whatever else I'd call "mine," I know I can live without it if pressed.

But not my Bible.

It's my lifeline. Much of it is hidden in my heart and goes with me everywhere. But much I can't remember. And there's not a single word in there I don't need, because every one came from the heart of My God—**El-iy. I thirst and faint for every bit of Him bound up in the Scripture. To open its cover (or click open its program) provides a thrill of anticipation.

I have to have Him. I can't live without Him. Though He is the One to own me, He gives Himself in return. Even in the moments when my Bible and I are separated, He can't be taken from me. I'll never have to contemplate living without Him.

He is mine!

Thank You, Lord, for simply allowing us to know You.

I appreciate hearing from you. Questions are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com
comments or e-mail me—my address is
buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com.
Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
Image source:
firesetternews.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. I agree! And sadly I literally mean my bible. I love how it's all marked up in the right places and the dozens of bookmarks don't scare me away, nor do the pages that fall out in chunks. I'm trying to locate a brand new one just like it so I can go page by page and redo the notes and highlights since it's getting a little rag tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I have to have my Bible sis. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T ~

    If you've not done so, read the Bible cover to cover. It would be exciting to do it with a new Bible. You might even consider a different translation than what you're used to, so you'll be more likely to notice things you've read many times before.

    As material possessions go, I don't feel the least bit bad that you meant Bible. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise ~

    I don't do it often, but I've been known to put a Bible under my head as a pillow. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)