Blog Archive

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Everything in Its Time

image source: dodge.com image source: jeep.com



After owning three vans, we considered it might be time for something different.

We talked about a Ram pickup. We talked about a Jeep. (That's pronounced "CHEEP!" by my outdoorsy fifteen-year-old daughter.) After looking over a number of Chrysler vehicles (our personal favorite), and considering our family of seven, we settled on (drum roll please) ... a minivan. They're just too darn practical.

So when time came to buy, my dear husband John went for a test drive.

Me: "How do you like the engine?"

Him: "Meh."

"Two glove boxes!"

"Meh."

"Great storage space in the stow–n-go bins."

"Meh."

"LOVE the retro dashboard."

"Meh."

"Good grief, there's cup holders everywhere!"

"What a lame idea to put a cup holder in the door—you'll spill your drink!"

"What a lame idea to bring a drink in a car without a lid."

I'd mentioned the hope that we buy a Jeep next time around. As long as we were at the dealer, he we decided to test drive a Jeep.

Me: "How do you like the engine?" (same 3.6 V6 as Caravan.)

Him: "Love it."

Me (opening small narrow tube on passenger side): "Has a glove box."

Him: "Nice size!"

Me: "This has got to be the tiniest windshield I've ever seen."

Him: "Yeah, cause the roof comes off."

To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven ...
What profit has the worker from that in which he labors?
I have seen the God-given task
with which the sons of men are to be occupied.
He has made everything beautiful in its time.
~ Ecclesiastes 3:1,9-11 (NKJV)

Perspective is everything. If we like someone or something, we see everything about them in the best light. When we're not enamored with someone or something, even their best doesn't win our hearts.

Perhaps the best this life offers is choosing to see everything as beautiful in its time.

Note from John: "The fact is, the engine is not the same, I did not say 'meh,' I said 'eh,' and it's not about the size of the glovebox, but about the size of the world you can reach with a Jeep! : )

Next time around, babe. I'll pray for it! : ) backatcha!

Comments are welcome and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

14 comments:

  1. Praying that John thrives, even inhis "compromise"

    May blessings fill every space of whatever vehicle you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, Anne, this made my smile from ear to ear, and tell John his comments were a wonderful addition.

    Enjoy your new vehicle and THANK YOU for reminding us that there is a time and season for every purpose.

    May God richly bless the Bundy family. I'm thinking of you as the trees turn their glorious colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin, God contiues to bless us. We bought that roomy minivan, and will wait for the roomier, roof-removed view of the sky. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gwen, would you believe that I've been thinking much of you when I see the colors? Hope you are well, dearest. Yes, I'll pass that along to John, with hopes to see you soon. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was wonderful as usual. I hope your week will be filled with joy and blessings from Him.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may not seem like a big thing in a life, but I think it's huge. The sacrifice of a man for his family shows the character of that man.

    My dad was one of those men... Although no longer with us, God is still using the little things across his life to teach and mold me to be more like him and our Father.

    May God continue to bless you and yours. My hat is off to your husband, he is a good example to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have gone for the non-practical jeep and stacked up the kids if necessary. Good for John for giving in/up on the "cool" vehicle....again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Odie! The week started off with going to pick up the new van. Now to find time to figure out all the new gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Floyd, I did pass your comment along to John. Yes, he's wonderful about the whole thing. He even took it well when he found out that the Jeep & Caravan do have the same engine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, between yours, Clare's, and my families, I think we've managed to stack as many people as we'll ever get into any vehicle in the Savanah. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell John I love this: "...but about the size of the world you can reach with a Jeep!"

    We just had to add to our fleet recently as well, and had to curb my preference based on the always excessive need for headroom and legroom amongst the lot of us. We had those same conversations in a different context.

    But mostly, I just love the idea of wanting the thing that expands our world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lyla, you sound like you've got the same wanderlust I've had to mostly curb—for now.

    I'll admit that if we lived in Colorado, that Jeep might be more of a necessity for exploring all those mountains. But here in Michigan, I suspect it's mostly the idea that you could see more of the world if you wanted to, rather than because you're actually going to see it. :D

    Sending you love ... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. May your new vehicle bless your dear family for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for that blessing, Denise! By God's grace, I pray we manage to make the van last.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)