Blog Archive

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ironing Out the Bible

Image source: Pastor Zach's Blog


Among the million and one things I did this week was iron out the Bible used by our younger kids, who learn to read from this large print version.

Even before the invention of the printing press, countless people across the millennia have not only learned to read from written Scripture, but they've become literate for the simple purpose of being able to study the precious texts. The NKJV Bible has long been our family's successful reading curriculum.

Though younger kids are taught to handle both the Word of God and the print and ink Bible with respect, numerous fragile leafs near the front and back get quite wrinkled. Then they start sticking out. And then they start to tear as the Bible gets dragged around the house for schoolwork. A worn Bible is one thing. An injured Bible is another.

So I spent about an hour carefully ironing out about twenty pages of the Bible and taping rips before gently returning it to its place with the books used to teach our children.

All your children shall be taught by the LORD,
And great shall be the peace of your children.
~ Isaiah 54:13 (NKJV)

On school days, my five darlings and I sit down to read from and study the Bible. We're presently in Proverbs. However interesting rest of Scripture, there's definitely some thought-provoking contrasts there. Consider this one:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest you also be like him.
Answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest he be wise in his own eyes.
~ Proverbs 26:4-5 (NKJV)

Everyone is encouraged to share their insights as we together iron out God's Word. One of my greatest thrills in life is when my kids teach me, and I hear the Holy Spirit speaking through them.

Care for a sampling?

The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD,
But the prayer of the upright is His delight.
~ Proverbs 15:8 (NKJV)

One of the kids observed that even though a wicked person gives while the upright asks, the former offends the Lord and the latter delights Him. We went on to discuss that you're not willing to ask someone you dislike to do you any favors—you'd rather go without than be that humble. Even asking God for stuff is a welcome expression of humility if done with the right heart.

So I'll confess ...

While I do look to the Holy Spirit for inspiration and guidance as I write these posts, I admit that not all the thoughts are original. I thank God for all the people His Spirit uses to teach me.

Comments are welcome and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. They see things in such a refreshingly clear way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of ironing pages of the Bible. How cool. And so are your discussions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, Susan, are also one of those souls, who sees things in such a refreshingly clear way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amy! We do have some fascinating discussions.

    (And I also iron out money if I'm giving it as a gift ...)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)