Blog Archive

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Little People

I ask my readers' forgiveness for being MIA this week. I'm back now that three pressing projects are now out of the way.

The woman said to Him, "Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship."
~ John 4:19-20 (NKJV)

The last post offered the perspective that when the Samaritan woman at the well learns Jesus is a Prophet, she is emboldened to ask Him her One Burning Question about worship.

There are, of course, other possibilities which explain her drastic change of subject. One is that she is reminding Jesus that even if He is a prophet, He is a Jew with different priorities and beliefs than Samaritans, which places her outside of His ministry.

Which communicates messages like:

"I know that I'm not really important to You."

"If we disagree about the big stuff, what's the point of discussing lesser matters?"

"You can't tell me what to do."

"You're not for me."

In other words, she must be irrelevant to Jesus, so isn't He irrelevant to her?

We may think we're being humble if we shrug off God with the excuse that either we ourselves or some matter in our lives isn't significant enough for Him to be troubled with. We're actually belittling God, by thinking of Him like us—interested in the big stuff but not quite big enough to have time for all the little details and little people.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
~ Luke 12:6-7 (NKJV)

God cares about the little people enough to die for them. We know from answers to prayer that He cares about the little stuff too, if for no more reason than He loves us so much.

If the woman at the well was reminding Jesus that she was outside His ministry, I'm inclined to think she was inviting Him to reassure her that she could be on the inside—because that's where she ended up!

Q4U: What's one of the smallest things you've prayed for that God gave you?

I'll go first ... (see comments, below)

Comments are welcome and will receive a reply.
You may also contact author via Twitter – @anne4JC
or e-mail – buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. I lost one of my favorite earrings. I told the Lord it would be nice to find it, though I didn't really expect to. Then I found part of the earring on the floor of our church—impossible enough, as big as the building is. And then I found the missing piece in the parking lot, which probably covers a couple of acres. You wouldn't believe how happy and silly and loved by God that made me feel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when I breathe out a quick, "Lord, I really need your calm right now" and all at once I feel a peace sweep over me.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I have had so many of these little requests answered and I just see God's goodness in all these things. He wants to show us! I've found keys, got parking, figured out HTML code problems, and other things. You name it and I've probably prayed for it. I love too and thank Him exceedingly when He does little things that I didn't even know to ask for. I had such an experience just the other day. Thanks for this--wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I kick myself every time I don't behave as Christ, and realize I could have had His power if I'd only asked. He's never said 'no' when I've asked for the grace needed in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, you do my heart good! When I asked this question, I was thinking of all those kind of moments, when I chatter at God throughout the day for all the little things that make a difference. It's good to know I'm not the only one who thanks Him for parking spaces, LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyday, in big ways, and in small ways He blesses me. I am so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are definitely too many to count. Making a traffic light, finding what I am "looking" for at the thrift store, not catching a cold from one of the kids or Curt, not needing to stop and get gas when I am in a hurry, and the list just goes on and on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise, I rejoice that one of the ways the Lord is blessing you right now is allowing you to be back online. I've missed you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder, Mary, how we ever find reason to complain? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)