Blog Archive

Saturday, October 4, 2008

God's Favorite Place

Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: "Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering. ... And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them. (Exodus 25:1-2,8 NKJV)

For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be my people." (2 Corinthians 6:16 NKJV)

Thus says the LORD:
"Heaven is My throne,
And earth is My footstool.
Where is the house that you will build Me?
And where is the place of My rest? ...
On this one will I look [with favor]:
On him who is [desperately] poor and of a contrite [broken] spirit,
And who trembles at My word."
(Isaiah 66:1-2 NKJV, amplified)


Our God desires to dwell close to His people. Ever since God sent Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden, He has worked toward again having the sweet fellowship of "walking in the garden in the cool of the day" with us.

The Old Testament tabernacle was designed according to the heavenly sanctuary, and is a picture of the New Testament reality: God's presence dwelling inside the temple of our bodies. "Inside" is definitely close.

How does one draw the favor of the Lord's attention, and experience the filling of the Holy Spirit? By having a humble attitude desperate for God, by being broken for sin, and by hearing His Word with a heart so attentive that it trembles at His voice.

O Lord our God, King of the Universe, how is it that You, whose throne is in heaven, should long to dwell within us? It would be enough to be near You. Please humble us, break us, shake us—and look upon us as Your favorite place to rest.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love." — God

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)