Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In the Name of the Lord

Save me, O God, by Your name,
And vindicate me by Your strength.
(Psalms 54:1 NKJV)

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."
(1 Samuel 17:45 NKJV)

Thus says the Lord [YHWH]: It is not for your sake ... that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came. And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name ... And the nations will know that I am [YHWH].
(Ezekiel 36:22-23 ESV)

The name "Christ" means "anointed." To be called "Christian" is both acknowledgment of our anointing with the Holy Spirit, and to walk in the name of the Lord—no small matter when one considers the power of His name and how much He cares about the reputation of His name.

When we are perceived negatively, and especially if the perception is false, we want someone to vindicate us, and redeem our reputation. How much more shouldn't the Lord, who is all goodness, wish His name and reputation to be unsullied by the way we represent Him?

Do not only our actions but our words testify to a good God? Or do we complain about our circumstances (they are ordained by God), express anxiety (showing lack of trust in God), and speak badly of others (scorning people God loves)?

The world is watching, judging us and Him.

Lord, I am not worthy to bear Your name. Thank You for Your grace, for covering my sin with Your blood that You might look upon me with favor. Please make me more like You every day. Make Your light in me so shine before others that they would give glory to You.

"The desire of our soul is for Your name and for the remembrance of You." — Isaiah

Feedback may be posted to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mailed to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)