Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dust and Rust Belt

If you are a visitor from the Blog Carnival, I ask your forgiveness for re-directing you to the second post I submitted, which is a more important read: The Gift of Hunger.


There's surely rust in Colorado somewhere, though I don't recall where I might have seen its corrosion when I was growing up. Back home, it was common for people to drive cars 20-25 years old. The only time I remember smelling mildew was when we opened a canvass tent that had been rolled up wet some earlier season. I thought a dry climate meant Phoenix, because it was the only out-of-state place I visited.

Life changed when I moved to the Rust Belt in 1990 and became acquainted with a damp climate. Needles in the sewing basket became rusty the first year. The next year, I found mushrooms growing in the carpet due to AC condensation of my well-maintained suburban apartment—on the second floor.

At present, our 12-year-old Caravan runs faithfully despite the visible rust which makes me wonder about invisible rust in the innards. The 2005 Savannah has needed AC repairs to corroded lines 4 out of the 6 years we've had it. I was up at 2 a.m. this morning to deal with a drip from freezing rain which penetrated the 5-year-old chimney flashing (high wind was partly to blame), and I was cutting away carpet and mopping up water which seeped through the basement floor middle (not wall) at 6 a.m.

Cold damp air doesn't seem much better for people. My daughter goes to the doctor tomorrow to follow up on her pneumonia. Our whole family has more vigor in sunny Colorado despite the altitude there. It seems that weak or scarce Great Lakes sun means lower physical energy and fewer people exercising. Michigan's population is near the top of the obesity charts, Colorado's near the bottom.

But regardless of where or how a person lives, it's only a matter of time before each of us succumbs to injury, illness, or infirmity and returns to dust—before the things we amass here become corroded.

When it comes right down to it, the entire earth is a Dust and Rust Belt. It's only a matter of location and years.


"Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal ..."
~ Matthew 6:20 (NKJV)


There are three things I have in this life which I can take with me when I leave this world: my family, my praise for my Lord Jesus, and the Word of God hidden in my heart.

The futile effort to maintain life in this world may try us. No matter—true treasure transcends time and distance, even the distance between eyes and heart.


"... For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
~ Matthew 6:21 (NKJV)



: : :

This post is part of a blog carnival hosted by Peter Pollock. You're invited to visit his site and see what others are saying about today's theme: Treasure.
Comments, questions, and respectful disagreement are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com comments, or e-mail buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com
Copyright 2011, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. I hear you about the damp climate! We moved from a very dry city into humidity central where it rains ALL the time... even the shoes tucked away in my wardrobe get mouldy!

    But, as you say, no matter where we are, earthly treasures will rot, fade, dry up (or grow mould)... our faith in God and relationship with Him is one thing the weather cannot touch!

    Thanks for your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne - Your description of automobiles reminds me of when we lived in Western New York and I worked in Buffalo ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The treasure is the time he's given us, and he wants us to use that treasure, regardless of where we are. Good post, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May He alone be my treasure...

    This: "There are three things I have in this life which I can take with me when I leave this world: my family, my praise for my Lord Jesus, and the Word of God hidden in my heart."

    Amen... May I live accordingly...
    Grateful for you,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post and a reminder that treasures on earth are only temporal. Rust and moth will get to almost anything here it seems. Our eternal home is where our real treasure will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb ~

    I would have imagined "down under" as a drier climate. It obviously has its own locales of dampness.

    What I didn't say here is that Michigan has gorgeous trees, spring and autumn, the way Colorado has sunshine and mountains. Both places have drawn me to God and to see those eternal treasures, because His handiwork has been manifest in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rusty ~

    Is that where you somehow picked up your nickname? I'm guessing you're in no hurry to move back there from Florida. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glynn ~

    Time is a treasure. I'm rich in neither time nor money, yet I have far more discretionary dollars than minutes. I see myself as a pauper in regard to time, and console myself with the parable of the widow and her mites when I give those minutes to God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann ~

    So grateful for you. I count you among my eternal treasure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hazel Moon ~

    Of the stuff I see as eternal treasure, I am rich indeed. My heart really is with these three gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)