Blog Archive

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Guilty of Hypocrisy

Necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! ... Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:16,26-27 NKJV)

"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach." (Matthew 23:2-3 NIV)

Perhaps more than for any other reason, Christians are despised for our hypocrisy. We spout on about all that is good but fail to unerringly model it.

This is our destiny, to remain for now imperfect, even while God completes His work to perfect us. There’s no shame in admitting that we’re as impatient as anyone for that work to be completed. The shame lies in thinking we’ve arrived, and thinking little of anyone else, whether they’re inside or outside the lifeboat we’re blessed to occupy.

Lord, only You are good, and Your goodness is infinite. Please put Your goodness in us, that others might recognize You and give glory to You. Let us not shame Your name upon us.

"Don’t be angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be." — Thomas A. Kempis

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. © 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)