Blog Archive

Friday, September 19, 2008

You Can Do Nothing

Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." ... And that night they caught nothing... Then, as soon as they had come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid on it, and bread. (John 21:3,9 NKJV)

[Peter] said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep... Follow Me."
(John 21:17, 19 NKJV)

"As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (John 15:4-5 NKJV)

When Jesus was no longer a visible presence with Peter and his comrades, the sight of the sea called to the fishermen. Yet there could be no going back to what they once were. The "strength" of frail flesh once seemed sufficient, but proved that without Jesus, "You can do nothing."

Once we've experienced the might of God, what once satisfied will never again prove adequate. We may return to visit the familiar—perhaps even abide there—when we fail to sense that God is near, when the afterglow of His presence fades. But we must turn away from every inclination to independence and follow Christ to do anything.

Jesus knows what we think we need. He has already prepared to satisfy us once we draw near to Him.

Lord, You hold in Your hand every good thing for me. How can I forget my utter inadequacy apart from You? Please remind me not pull my hand out of Yours and go my own way for even a moment. Apart from You I can do nothing. Apart from You I am nothing.

Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)