Blog Archive

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Church Withdrawal

"Those who are drawn to God
are also drawn toward each other."
~ Unknown


Church Withdrawal

I was glad when they said to me,
"Let us go into the house of the LORD."
~ Psalms 122:1 (NKJV)

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
~Hebrews 10:24-25


If all goes as planned, I'm having brunch with family this morning. Instead of being at my church, my soul is being nourished with a different kind of fellowship.

And if today is like any other Sunday on which I miss church, I'll be suffering church withdrawal, restless for my fix.

I understand that some people attend church because they believe doing so earns grace (not so), or that it's how to get to Heaven (it is not).

Perhaps people think going to church is a good thing for a Christian to do. That it is—but this is not why I go.

I go to church because I love the Lord, and I love celebrating the Lord with His people, and I love loving His people. I go there to be exhorted and to exhort others and to have a taste of Heaven.

My church also meets on Sunday evening (Praise the Lord!), and I plan to be there so symptoms of withdrawal don't become severe.

Thank You, Lord, for Yourself, with Whom we might ask for no one else. Thank You for Your people. Please knit our hearts together as one. Oh my God, please, I ask You, make our love for You stronger in our love for one another.

Contrasting points-of-view, questions and feedback are invited. Post to
BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
#churchunity
Photo of Pastor Dean Stewart courtesy of Joshua Nathaniel Hinds

8 comments:

  1. Amen, love you so dearly sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one more reason: God has told us that He wants us to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God didn't ask us to go to the church, He ask us to be the church. Big difference. Many don't see this. So, for them the church is place where they go once or twice on week for couple of hours and perform their duty. But the church is body of Christ, members who take care one of another, who have Christ thought and His love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like to look around and think, these are the people who will populate heaven one day. It's most likely the highest concentration of heaven's (new Earth's) citizens you can find in one place ;) Enjoy your brunch Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are like logs in heaven's fire. When we are separated from our congregation, we gradually grow cold and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, I love you, too. I'm back in town, but it'll take me another day to catch up with you. I pray you have all needed strength in our Lord.

    Elizabeth, that will be the most enduring reason. :D

    Natasa, I've heard that said other ways, but I love "don't go to church, be the church." Indeed!

    T. Anne, so I'm not the only one who thinks that way! I praise Him privately, but there's nothing like praise in the midst of the saints.

    Clifford, if you saw my post from Friday on Fire, you'll understand why your comment gave me shivers when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! We've had services canceled at our church for the past two Sundays due to weekend snow storms. I am suffering church withdrawal as a result and praying that next Sunday we will be able to enjoy corporate worship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloriana, how sad! But don't miss the blessing of how much more precious that next service will be now. I think the Lord has to sometimes take things from us (hopefully temporarily) to remind us of their value. I do pray that nothing prevents you from being in church this Sunday. (Please, Lord?)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)