Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Before Daylight

And [Jesus] said to [His disciples], "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.
(Mark 6:31 NKJV)

Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, [Jesus] went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed. (Mark 1:35 NKJV)

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
(Psalms 23:1-3 NKJV)


We workaholics are a tenacious lot. A precious brother in the Lord once suffered a nervous breakdown, but wouldn't quit. When I gently asked why, he asserted, "Because I was taught that it's better to burn out for the Lord than to rust out for the Lord."

Neither is the Lord's will. To destroy life or body of another or myself violates the command, "You shall not murder." I confess it is possible I stand condemned by my words where my body is concerned. But by God's grace and daily renewal, my soul is filled with life ready to be poured out to others.

The dark quiet of early morning before daylight is the best place to meet the Lord, receiving from Him the supply of grace and mercy, faith and love that I wish to flow from me in strength. It is a place of being led in righteousness, of still waters, and of restored soul.

Good Shepherd, You know our every need. You give us only what is good, and lead only where You intend to bless. Make our hearts tender toward Yourself. Awaken us with eager hearts while it is yet early enough to hear You, before the day's noise competes for our attention.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your blog. May God's grace (undeserved, unearned favor) Fill you in all that you do with the Lord. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)