Blog Archive

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Broken Heart

A Psalm of David.
Save me, O God!
For the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire, Where there is no standing;
I have come into deep waters,
Where the floods overflow me.
I am weary with my crying;
My throat is dry;
My eyes fail while I wait for my God.
(Psalms 69:1-3 NKJV)

The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart,
And saves such as have a contrite spirit.
(Psalms 34:18 NKJV)

[The Lord] may bring us sorrow, but his love for us is sure and strong.
He takes no pleasure in causing us grief or pain.
(Lamentations 3:32-33 GNB)

For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:15-16 NKJV)

No child ever understands the parent who inflicts corporal punishment with the words, "this hurts me more than it hurts you." Truth be told, the spirit with which it is appropriate for parents to administer a spanking is when they don't want to inflict pain, because love is in control.

Our children don't think we understand them, though we do know what it's like to be a child. Jesus knows exactly what it is to suffer pain, weakness and temptation as a human. He knows what it feels like to be punished for sin. His heart was broken for sin as no other human heart could be.

We often regret sin outwardly to avoid unwelcome consequences, or mentally to think of ourselves as good, or in apology with guilt for the pain sin causes another. But only the heart truly broken for sin can really repent of it, initiating an end to the pain and death sin causes.

A broken heart is good.

Father, we cause You so much grief, first with our sin, and then when You afflict us for it. Thank You for loving us enough to suffer so much more pain for our sin than we do. Thank You for loving us enough not to allow us to sin comfortably. Thank you for understanding our misery.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)