Blog Archive

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Tongue Like a Sword

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
Hear my voice, O God, in my meditation;
Preserve my life from fear of the enemy.
Hide me from the secret plots of the wicked,
From the rebellion of the workers of iniquity,
Who sharpen their tongue like a sword,
And bend their bows to shoot their arrows—bitter words.
(Psalms 64:1-3 NKJV)

Pleasant words are like a honeycomb,
Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
(Proverbs 16:24 NKJV)

"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.... But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12:34-37 NKJV)

David often feared for his life. Here he asks God to protect his life, not from the enemy from who might strike him with the sword, but from fear. His life was depleted by mere words. He evidently did not believe, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Words carry great power. God created the entire universe using only words. The pen is mightier than the sword not only because words incite men to take up the sword, but also because the sword can only destroy, while words can both give life ("health to the bones") and destroy life ("arrows").

A friend recently quoted these thoughts of mine on her blog. Yet I still need the reminder. When I find myself apologizing, it’s usually for my words rather than actions. And as I look back on my life, my deepest regrets are for times when my words inflicted damage on the life of another.

Father, thank You for paying the great cost to forgive things seemingly unforgivable. I beg You to repair the lives where my words have been arrows. I beg You to use my words now to give life. If I have a tongue like a sword, let it be only because it speaks Your Word in the power of Your Spirit.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

1 comment:

  1. Anne -- great reminder! It's important to always keep in mind how powerful words are. I love James' commentary: "Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles!" (James 3:3-5, NKJV)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)