Blog Archive

Monday, November 3, 2008

Real Enemies

To the Chief Musician. Set to "Do Not Destroy."
A Michtam of David When Saul Sent Men,
and They Watched the House in Order to Kill Him.
Deliver me from my enemies, O my God ...
You have been my defense
And refuge in the day of my trouble.
To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises;
For God is my defense, My God of mercy.
(Psalms 59:1;16-17 NKJV)

And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands became heavy ... And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. So Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword. (Exodus 17:11-13 NKJV)

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. (1 Peter 5:8-9 NKJV)

Psalms passages which speak of enemies didn't used to hold my interest. I rarely encounter people who threaten as enemies and I preferred Psalms of praise. I see now that the very real enemies David and Moses battled present a clear picture of the very real adversary I do face.

The devil knows where we are weak and is a practiced, powerful enemy. But we do not fight the battles we face alone. Our defense is our God—reliance on His strength, preparation for battle with His armor, and support of fellow warriors. Our brothers and sisters fight alongside us, and we must uphold each other in prayer.

The sun will eventually go down on this day of battle. Until then, we sing praise for the God who has already saved us. We sing praise for the warfare which perfects us. We sing praise for the victory at war's end. It is all assured by our Lord's Word and Spirit and blood.

Lord Jesus, You have already vanquished the enemy. You know more than we do the sufferings of warfare. You have felt the weakness of human flesh. Please make us persistent to employ the armor You provide. Please help us remember fellow warriors in the heat of battle. Please give us Your strength to endure.

Feedback may be posted to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mailed to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)