Blog Archive

Friday, November 7, 2008

Satisfaction

A Psalm of David When He Was in the Wilderness of Judah.
O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water.
I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.
(Psalms 63:1-5 NKJV)

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
(Psalms 100:4 NKJV)

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 MSG)

David's road to the throne was paved with homeless hunger—and that was merely where his problems began. While a refugee, he succumbed at times to fear, deceit, and anger. Yet the man after God's own heart always turned back to praise God in the midst of his circumstances.

David's ability to do so lay in his motive to see the power and glory of God. Having tasted the Lord's lovingkindness, he judged it better than a satisfying life. Circumstances might loom large, but they could only obscure sight of a larger God in the absence of thanksgiving and praise.

Urgent demands and heavy trials easily overwhelm us. Like David, we are anointed with God's Spirit, yet may succumb at times to fear, deceit, and anger. What sets us apart as Christ's is the resolve to turn back and look for satisfaction in God. He is found in the midst of praise, prayer and thanks.

Oh God, You are my God. Call us to seek You in the quiet morning, before life presses in. Call us to seek You in the loud, busy workday, and hear which way You direct. Call us to seek You when trials threaten to defeat us, and know Your presence. Cause us to bless You at all times, Your praise ever upon joyful lips.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)