Blog Archive

Monday, August 30, 2010

Dare Mighty Things

"Far better is it to dare mighty things,
to win glorious triumphs,
even though checkered by failure,
than to take rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
because they live in the gray twilight
that knows neither victory nor defeat."
~ Theodore Roosevelt


"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of my mouth."
~ Revelation 3:15-16 (WEB)

"For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it ... So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple."
~ Luke 14:28,33 (NKJV)


Jesus says He prefers even a cold person to lukewarm. Among the various thoughts for the meaning of "cold" are hostile and unsaved, angry and arguing, sinful and in need of discipline, broken and distant. Whichever His meaning, Jesus can evidently work with dynamic coldness, while His reaction to lukewarm is vomit it out. (The King James says "spew," the NIV "spit.")

What brings the person who was once hot or cold to become lukewarm? Just sitting, without movement or risk. Vibrant Christianity carries the risk of disdain, outright rejection, loss of favors, poverty, persecution, even death. And personal sacrifice is a daily cost.

To risk or sacrifice nothing might mean no cost, but it also means no gain—and no value. Those things which cost us the most time, drive, and sacrifice are the things we come to value most. We are anything but lukewarm about them.

Lord Jesus, You paid the greatest price of all history to leave glory and purchase us. You are worth any cost, whatever the pain or sacrifice. In moments of hesitation, please embolden us to dare mighty things. Please let us see the spiritual cost of turning away.

I appreciate hearing from you. Questions are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com
comments or e-mail me—my address is
buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com.
Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
Image source:
terrystauffer.com

10 comments:

  1. Ha! I talk about risk briefly in my post today. I really can't wait to meet you!

    And that word lukewarm really struck me after I read Francis Chan's, Crazy Love. I pray I live in such a way that I could never be described like that.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Anne. I am currently co-reading "Mere Churchianity" and "Radical." Just the first two chapters of each book, taken along with your post today, and of course the Word of God, are convicting me from all sides.

    Indeed, may God embolden us all to use our thoughts, words and deeds for His glory and to live a life worthy of His sacrifice. I know I don't have to earn my way into His arms, but I am responsible to do the most I can with what I have been given...
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...that's a fear i live with. being neither hot nor cold. rejection from Him is the absolute worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy ~

    I don't fail to marvel that Jesus speaks of cold as preferable to lukewarm, and wonder exactly what He meant by cold.

    We'll have so much to talk about, so little time. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To a dear and simple country girl ~

    I wonder if it's not easier to be bold when we really do keep life as simple as possible. If we've already refused this world's offerings, if we're already traveling light, perhaps we're in a better place to risk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bud ~

    It's simple relationship. Close ties and a heart of adoration will not grow lukewarm. "Perfect love drives out fear."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Powerful post Anne. It's a battle everyday in this world to remain on fire for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to be closely knitted with my Saviour forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. T ~

    For me, it's not the "being on fire" that's so challenging. It's maintaining a steady fire that doesn't fluctuate between bright flames that flare up but have no sustaining heat and the embers lying beneath ashes. Life doesn't seem to readily lend itself to steady anything. But I suppose it's better to be bouncing between exhuberant praise and facedown in the dirt worship than to be warming pews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, amen. May we abide in His fire.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)