Blog Archive

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Two-edged Sword, Part II

"Most people are bothered by those passages in Scripture that they cannot understand; but as for me, I always noticed that the passages in Scripture that trouble me most are those that I do understand."
~ Mark Twain



Two-edged Sword, Part II

"These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: '... Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth... To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat...' "
~ Revelation 2:12,16-17 (NKJV)


The Word of God is sword of the Spirit and Jesus Himself. The gentle King on a donkey's foal is five times in Revelation depicted with a sword—the warrior King on a horse. Among those to feel His sword are those in the church who dare use His Gospel for personal gain (yesterday's Part I).

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
~ Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)


His two-edged sword cuts both ways. For those who love Him named Word of God, the sword which pierces to division of godly spirit from soul of flesh also brings peace and comfort; the sword which cuts away shackles of bondage brings both freedom and liberty; the sword which shall condemn to death God's enemies is life to His children.

Reading the Bible may first trouble a person as it reveals sin. But to then turn away from the Word allows sin to fester as an unattended infection. Staying in the Word and allowing it to complete its full work brings light and strength and treasure.

To stay in the Word is to find hidden manna to nourish the soul.

Lord Jesus—Word of God, Word of Life, Word of Hope—please give Your people a desire for all the gifts in You. Please let us never fear Your sword.

I appreciate hearing from you. Questions are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com comments or e-mail me—my address is buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com.
Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
Image from
wordunplugged.com

12 comments:

  1. I'm SO thrilled I've had opportunity to read God's word. I can't imagine the throngs of people who have lived on this earth with no scripture to cling to for whatever reason. It's a gift all on its own to be able to access it and read it, gaze at the handiwork of the Almighty whenever the spirit moves us. Amen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. All is well if we stay on the right side of the sword. He is worthy of reverence and awe. Lord, increase it in my life.

    Thanks Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T ~ Amen. If you hadn't noticed yet, I'm a little obsessed with the Word that gives life and liberty and love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasa ~

    Thanks for being here. Thanks for the affirmation. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason ~

    I'm not sure there's a "right" side. I don't like being pierced, but afterwards I always know it was for the best. For the child of God, I don't think there's a wrong side.

    But maybe I'm just being picky with words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, I love that obsession of yours with the Word. Daily you prove up that it's not drudgery to walk with Jesus and His love letter to us is not a yawn.

    It is often this very aspect of the Word that keeps me in it -- that sometimes what I read troubles me. It keeps me fixed there, trying to resolve it. Sometimes it resolves; sometimes I must just concede that God is just that much bigger and grander than ever I thought.

    And then I can't help but love Him a little bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyla ~

    You encourage me. I never want "obsession" to cross the line to "obnoxious."

    I love the occasions when I have the time to persist with the Lord and wrestle Him long enough to obtain the blessing. Too often, life intrudes and interrupts (whether necessarily or unnecessarily), and I must move on. I'm grateful that He brings me back until I get what I need.

    You so beautifully capture "concede" ... : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...in agreement with Mark Twain. the scripture that bothers me most is the scripture that i do understand.

    read this and the links the other night but got hung up on one part:

    ...the sword which shall condemn to death God's enemies is life to His children.

    must be i'm overtired. will just chew on it(this post) for another day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bud ~

    Condemnation is from the law, which declares the sin of which we are guilty.

    The Gospel of Jesus Christ makes available freedom from the law of sin and death through His blood. He goes on to comfort and love us with His Word.

    With only His Word, God created the infinite universe with all its wonders.

    Is anything more powerful than the living Word of God?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise ~

    Thank you for the affirmation. You take care!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)