Blog Archive

Monday, August 16, 2010

Eyes Like a Flame of Fire

"An eye can threaten like a loaded and leveled gun,
or it can insult like hissing or kicking;
or, in its altered mood, by beams of kindness,
it can make the heart dance for joy."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


Eyes Like a Flame of Fire

"And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write, 'These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass ...' "
~ Revelation 2:18 (NKJV)


What child does not feel power in the eye of a stern parent?

What soul in love does not melt in the beloved's gaze?

What criminal does not know fear under the stare of cop or judge?

Do you remember a time you thought your actions unseen? Or when your thoughts, if displayed, would have shamed you? Or when you believed a certain sin could be forgotten?

The Son of God sees all, into the very thoughts of mind, emotions of heart, desires of soul.

Why do you say ...
"My way is hidden from the LORD,
And my just claim is passed over by my God"?
Isaiah 40:27 (NKJV)


Furthermore, when we suffer injury or offense or slander for which no one can compensate, which seems to pass unnoticed, we are assured that the Lord sees and already knows His intended remedy.

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is ...
~ Romans 8:26-27 (NKJV)


The "feet like fine [white] brass [alloy]" belong to the Jesus we've invited into our hearts. He has taken up enduring occupancy in His temple, walking where He wills, searching out every corner with His eyes like a flame of fire. He comprehends the questions we cannot articulate, shares our speechless grief, and receives the love we do not know how to put into words.

El Ro-iy, God-Who-Sees-Me, please let us discern Your presence in moments of temptation and when we think we cannot endure offense. Please let us welcome Your presence in every corner of our hearts, with delight in Your gaze.

I appreciate hearing from you. Questions are welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com comments or e-mail me—my address is
buildingHisbody [plus] @gmail.com.
Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.
Gun barrel image source:
flickr.com

12 comments:

  1. I was deeply grateful during a certain stage of my life when I trusted the Holy Spirit to make groanings on my behalf.

    I love how David throws it out there, "Search me, O God..."
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we love the idea of the patient, tender Savior who looks at us with loving eyes of compassion. "You can do it Johnny". But for me, every once in a while I need 'the look.' "Get it together man!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy ~

    I do not underestimate the courage it takes to pray from the heart, "Search me, O God." That prayer and its answer definitely require a Holy Spirit groaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David ~

    The Lord is teaching me how many ways there are for me to still think "I can do it."

    I can do nothing. Through Christ Who strengthens me, I can do all He asks.

    (And "the look" both loves me and motivates me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Anne. Great post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cup is always filled when I come here ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going over Psalm 6 with the Lord in dissection, as well as the story of Jonah. Divine discipline seems to be the theme these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason ~

    Thank you for the encouragement and the tweets. They mean a lot. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan ~

    And you bless me by visiting and commenting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. T ~

    I LOVE disecting the Bible. (Had you noticed?) What I love about the story of Jonah is that the prophet's disobedience did not frustrate God's sovereignty; God was merciful to repentant pagans; and God just kept talking to Jonah, despite his lousy attitude. He doesn't give up on us. He uses us when we're stinky. His creative discipline means He sees something in us worth refining.

    You are a DEAR! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pray that when You gaze upon me Father, You are pleased. I love you sis.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)