Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Surviving the Teens

I'm skipping the book of Revelation today to instead post the below open letter to my husband for our wedding anniversary.

"If you're going through Hell, keep going."
~ Winston Churchill

Dear John,

When I gave you the above quote to hang in your office, I'd guess we both thought it would only apply to your job.

I'd guess when we both said, "for better or for worse," we weren't thinking "worse" would include walking each other through Hell.

I'd guess we're both better for surviving the flames.

Today we complete nineteen years of marriage and begin the twentieth. When people have said the teen years were difficult, they usually mean the kids. But I'd be really curious to find out the statistics on how many marriages don't make it through the teens.

I'm glad to have found out that the faithfulness of your character could outlast the teens, that both our hearts rely on God, that our love for each other proved fireproof.


Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;
But how can one be warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.
And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
~ Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NKJV)


I thank God that we established our marriage on Him, because He preserved us when we would have otherwise unraveled. I thank God that He gave us the ability to together withstand the enemy trying to rip us apart. I thank God for all the people who have prayed for us.

I give you my word I'll try to visit the past only when we find it hindering us from moving forward. I give you my word that I'll let you lead me there. I give you my word to remain by your side when we lie down together and when we take our stand together and as we walk together.

I give you my word that I'll keep saying to you, "Every day is a new day."

Today, John, I affirm:


I thank my God upon every remembrance of you ... because I have you in my heart ...
~ Philippians 1:3,7 (NKJV)


With love and affection,
Anne
xxooxxoo — etc.

P.S. There's another verse between those last two that goes like this:


He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
~ Philippians 1:6 (NKJV)

: )


Image source unavailable.

23 comments:

  1. Blessings to you both ... Bless your marriage and life together ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary sis, praying for you, and your marriage daily. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May God pour abundant blessings and love into your marriage today and forevermore!

    (if today is your big day we can reschedule talk-just let me know).

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! May God bless and keep you both in His daily care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary and blessings to you both. That is an interesting thought as well about marriages and the teen years...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a testimony to God's faithfulness and your commitment to one another ... blessings for many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How encouraging and beautiful. Marriage is tough but God's tougher. Always forgive so you won't become a prisoner to sin. Happy Anniversary. Eat cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary to both of you! May our LORD continue to bless your family abundantly, filled your household with His joy and peace as all of you serve Him ever so faithfully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rusty ~

    Thank you for your blessing. I ask the Lord to return it to you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise ~

    I don't doubt that your prayers being answered have contributed to my being able to post this. I can't thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy ~

    The Lord's "At Work" sign isn't coming down. He is indeed pouring out love, and I plan to stay directly under the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patty ~

    Why do I have this sneaking suspicion I could learn much from you about marriage?

    Thank you for the blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jason ~

    Thank you. Though the growing never stops, I still hope this means we're ready to enjoy a "fully-grown" marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bud ~

    Thank you. Writing this post was part of what made it happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan ~

    The testimony is all for God's glory. I wish I could say I'm always faithful, but I'd be lyin' to deny my pride never gets in the way. He is the One to sustain even our faithfulness. Without His unfathomable grace, it wouldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Favorite Fish ~

    Loving my comments today ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. T ~

    That cake sounds mighty good at the moment. We'll celebrate in a bigger way on John's day off. Chinese buffet is his favorite, mine is Middle Eastern, but we both love each of them ... maybe we should go out for lunch and dinner? You want five kids for the day? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bible Lover ~

    Joy and peace sound even better than Chinese and Middle Eastern! I'll take that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. While I feel my "teen" marriage is pretty good, I could certainly be more committed and hold Curt in higher regard than I do. What beautiful words you have for John. May God bless you for your faithfulness and determination that you have for the union that He has put in your care. I love you!...and John!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary ~

    There will always be room for improvement, though I don't ever want that to be an excuse for me not continually pushing to be a better wife myself.

    Curt's pretty special. Pass along my love to him, and keep plenty for yourself. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is important topic for parents. I like the article very much, because in it very good explanation is including.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)