Blog Archive

Monday, August 9, 2010

First Death or Second Death?

"Death is not the enemy.
Living in constant fear of it is."
~ Norman Cousins



First Death or Second Death?

"These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life: '... Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer... Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life... He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.' "
~ Revelation 2:8-11 (NKJV)


It's said that no one escapes death and taxes. It might appear that the crowd which is raptured escapes the former. But death is a requirement of every Christian disciple.

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it."
~ Luke 9:23-24 (NKJV)


Each of us must choose either the first death, of flesh, or the second, eternal death. The first is the willingness to live for the Lord Who purchased us, lay down one's life every day, and remain faithful to the name of the Lord Jesus Christ at any cost in a world which hates Him—and therefore hates us to the extent that we reflect Him.

"If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you... If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you."
~ John 15:18,20 (NKJV)


We want to be liked. We want the world to see us with favor and receive our message. It is vital to remember that when those in whom God is at work for salvation see Jesus in us, they will find it pleasant. Those who have no use for God will find us repulsive unless we hide our faith.

Jesus speaks to those who accept the first death and reminds them, "Do not fear." He reminds us that He died first and is now alive, as we shall be. He promises:

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die."
~ John 11:25-26 (NKJV)


: : :

Lord Jesus, Who suffered the worst physical death—Who sacrificed more to live for us than we shall ever sacrifice to live for You—please give us Your perspective of death and life. Please empower us to make You first and last in our lives, and in both our daily and final deaths.

I love hearing from you. Questions welcome. Reply to BuildingHisBody.com comments or e-mail BuildingHisBody@gmail.com.
Copyright 2010, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

Image Source:
chinaview.wordpress.com
WARNING: Image link contains graphic images of extreme torture.

9 comments:

  1. and I would add, help me to die to flesh so I may live in a spiritual nature to serve you better Lord. Lovely Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for me to go repulse. ;) I mean that in the greatest sense.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is funny but i don't mean that literally. yesterday i was chewing on the post of May 26/08 and you had written:

    ***Self must die daily. ***Life in Christ increases with every decision to follow His will. *** Each choice I make for Self is the futile attempt to recover a life that no longer exists.

    then read todays post...

    have a lot to do taday, but will positively be back to reflect...chew

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes...these comments were based based on the scriptures. HIS WORDS....

    ReplyDelete
  5. T ~ Amen and amen. He does test our spiritual eyes in this world. (And thank you. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy ~

    Yes, I get that. More easily said than done.

    Lord, please help us see as You do. Please give us Your Spirit's desires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each choice I make for Self is the futile attempt to recover a life that no longer exists.

    Bud ~

    I looked. I really did say that. Those words give me a sharp perspective of what I said above, in fewer words.

    I appreciate you bringing that back to me. Thanks, brother. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord, let me die to self daily, and live for You always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise ~

    To the prayer "let me die to self daily" I add "Lord, please hold me firmly but gently and don't let me crawl off the altar."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)