Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Willingly a Slave

"There is nothing left in the sight of my lord but our bodies and our lands. ... Buy us and our land for bread ... that we may live and not die." Then Joseph said to the people, "Indeed I have bought you and your land ... here is seed for you, and you shall sow the land. And it shall come to pass in the harvest that you shall give one-fifth to Pharaoh." ... So they said, "You have saved our lives; let us find favor in the sight of my lord, and we will be Pharaoh’s servants."
(Genesis 47:18-19; 23-25 NKJV)

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you." (John 15:13-15 NKJV)

When the people of Egypt saw they would die, they willingly sold themselves to the one who could give them life. Joseph generously allowed them to remain on the land, and keep eighty percent of the produce. It seemed a small matter to become slaves.

How much more generously has our God purchased us to save our lives and provide for our every need? And though He owns us as bondservants—slaves for life—He graciously calls us His friends as we participate in His plans.

Lord, we are servants unworthy to even know Your wonderful plans, let alone be a part of them. You show us great favor. Put in our hearts understanding and strength to perform all You desire of us.

Feedback invited. Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. © 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)