Blog Archive

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Blessed be the Name of the Lord

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord ...
Blessed be Your glorious name!
You give and take away ...
My heart will choose to say
Lord blessed be Your name. *

Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head;
and he fell to the ground and worshiped.
And he said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
And naked shall I return there.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD."
~ Job 1:20-21 (NKJV)


The power of praise might feel strongest on Sunday morning when it is expressed in the exuberance of skilled musicians and volume of congregation which uplift the glorious name of our God.

Praise approaches its zenith of power when we look beyond blessing to bless the Blessor—and when darkness closes in yet we choose to exalt the Light. Greatest opportunity to praise God comes when it will cost us most.

We magnify God by proving that both the blessing and affliction which might otherwise justify distraction cannot wipe from our lips the words, "Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Beloved Lord, You lead faithfully both through the land that is plentiful and on the road marked with suffering. If your maidservant has found favor in Your sight, please permit me the privilege of spending the last breath You lend to bless Your glorious name.

Feedback appreciated! Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved. * Lyrics of "Blessed be Your Name" by Matt Redman, Beth Redman, ©2002 Thank You Music (PRS)

5 comments:

  1. I love that song. I def. need to praise Him more in song. Thank you for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise approaches its zenith of power when we look beyond blessing to bless the Blessor—and when darkness closes in yet we choose to exalt the Light. Greatest opportunity to praise God comes when it will cost us most.
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, My God my God, blessed be the name of the Lord. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Anne!

    God once told me that He receives the greatest glory when we CHOOSE to praise Him when walking through dark times. It's so easy to sing surrounded by the singing. But do we choose to sing to Him surrounded by negative circumstances?

    Have a blessed week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. T. Anne, I believe songs of praise not only exalt God, but also strengthen us (even physically), and empower us against the enemy.

    Doug, how precious to me are your words.

    Julie, I'm blessed by your confirming testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to praise dance to this song my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)