Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Exhibit F: Counselor


For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
~ Romans 8:14 (NKJV)

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
~ John 14:26-27 (NIV)


Paul's next compelling evidence in the case for Christ is His Spirit. The proof of the Holy Spirit's presence is not supernatural manifestation which may be duplicated by the enemy, nor is it easily manufactured emotion.

The presence of the Holy Spirit is manifest by Jesus Christ in human flesh. It first occurred at Bethlehem, heralded by a star and song of angels. It occurs each time divine light shines into the world's darkness through us, when songs of praise pierce through our pain to display peace.

Jesus' words that He leaves His peace with us were spoken in the context of us receiving the Counselor, and thereby receiving His reminder of Christ's words in the needed hour. This is compelling proof of divinity's existence: when we face what the world gives with untroubled hearts and no fear, grounded in the Word of God.

It may be had for the asking, and is ours when we yield to the Spirit's leading.

Lord Jesus, You know well the tribulation the world gives. You know well the darkness and pain of this world. You know well the joy and love of the Father's presence for which we long. Please draw our hearts to yield to Your Spirit, minute by minute, that we might know Your peace as well as You know us.

Feedback appreciated! Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting! I was just contemplating could I be misreading the HS in me, could this really be a ploy of the enemy. But perfect peace resounded in me (still I resisted) and the HS came in louder, clearer but with the same message. Still perfect peace surrounded me and yet I still wondered if the enemy was capable of impersonating the HS. I hope I haven't confused you but this very topic was heavy on my mind the past two days. Thank you, I believe this is yet another affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counselor = compelling proof. Thinking on this. Loving it at the same time.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It occurs each time divine light shines into the world's darkness through us, when songs of praise pierce through our pain to display peace."

    In His presence is fullness of joy and the joy of the Lord is our strength.

    "draw our hearts to yield..." Amen.

    Thanks Anne for your steadfast faithfulness. And that nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anne, I just love to read more about the Holy Spirit. I think some Christians get "freaked out" by the Spirit -- even back to the time of post-resurrection, when folks were accused of being drunk when they were actually overcome by the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. T. Anne, I do think the voice of the Spirit and the voice of the enemy can be difficult to distinguish. But the enemy will cater to our selfish inclinations, to whatever makes us more self-reliant, whatever is about SELF. The Spirit will always be backed up by the Word, will always work for God's glory, and will usually challenge us in ways that are a little or a lot uncomfortable.

    Denise, the Lord is always honored by your prayers.

    Wendy, loving you.

    Doug, the steadfast faithfulness is a day by day challenge. And you're welcome.

    Jennifer, I agree that the Spirit is a cause for being "freaked out," and often misunderstood. I like to think of Him as God's motherly personality. Though the Spirit is specifically a He, He seeks the Father's glory not His own, is firm but oh so gentle, leaves the discipline to the Father, and is absolutely zealous for the Son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful response, Anne. You know, so often the Spirit is referred to as an "it" when He's actually part of a Divine PERSON. And to thank that this divine person would care to live inside of me. Incredible. Truly incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)