Blog Archive

Friday, August 21, 2009

Flying

Monday I visited adolescence for a day with three teens at an amusement park, in celebration of my daughter's 16th birthday. Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio) boasts the world's largest collection of roller coasters, including the grandaddy—Top Thrill Dragster.

An early ride on the Millennium Force coaster was very scary. Its leisurely draw-out-the-anticipation ascent tops a 320 foot high track and then hurtles riders into an 80 degree straight fall which reaches 93 mph. The sudden and intense fall instinctively induces consummate fright.

But the Dragster permits anticipation only before it commences. Racing lights flash a split second before passengers are launched by a 10,000 hp thrust from 0 to 120 mph in 3.8 seconds, ascend a 90 degree vertical track with a quarter twist to a dizzying height of 420 feet, then plunge 400 feet directly toward the ground and again reach 120 mph through a three quarter twist. The 2800 foot long ride is over in 17 seconds, averaging 112 mph.

The initial burst of speed inflicted on me by a purported 5 G's of raw force obliterated thought and all other sensation. There was no awareness of acceleration, just the immediate and unyielding impact of speed. By the time I could actually feel the speed, acceleration had passed and my only awareness was of flying—smoothly flying across, up, down. There was never a jolting sensation of falling, only flying. Dragster surprised me with its complete lack of scare and absolute exhilaration.

Unlike the consummate fright of Millenium's sudden fall, Dragster thrilled with a flight that never lost its momentum.


And let us not grow weary while doing good ...
as we have opportunity, let us do good to all ...
Galatians 6:9-10 (NKJV)


The Christian life's defining moment comes when control is given over to the Lord by faith. Whatever belief and profession preceded it, the life-altering testimony that "Jesus is Lord" thrusts one into a whole new life.

Once we take that leap of faith, we are to abide in Jesus—remain, stay, walk with Him without lagging back, looking back, back-sliding. The trip thorough life we take with Him isn't supposed to be filled with jarring starts and stops, but one which keeps its momentum.

When we lose step with Him, or are distracted from listening to Him, or become weary of His way and drag our feet, the Lord has a way of bringing us back to where we need to be—often through circumstances which come as a anxiety-filled shock.

But when we abide in Him, and a new twist comes—even a sharp and steep one—the jolt will not be as pronounced if we are already moving smoothly at the Lord's side.

It is even possible to experience incredible challenges, and feel that we are flying through them.



A Footnote: If you like the Flying theme, be sure and stop by Spurling Silver by Doug Spurling, and catch "Fly Like an Eagle."

Feedback appreciated! Post to BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. You would never get me on that. You're my new hero.

    I'm so ready to experience some serious momentum with the Lord! Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I would have loved to ride that with you, waving my hands in the air, woo hoo, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insane!

    We used to live in Ohio.

    Even the words abiding in Christ sound beautiful.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you know, I can relate to this. You're so right, when we are focused and close to God, life's challenges don't seem near as destructive. Great comparison to the rides. You had my gut sinking as I read that first section.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is even possible to experience incredible challenges, and feel that we are flying through them.
    Great post. You might could sell the ad to the park :-)

    What amazes me is my post last night titled "Fly Like An Eagle"

    It's like the Lord is on the same flying theme today

    Keep soaring

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay everybody, since Doug didn't leave a link to "Fly Like an Eagle" (you really should have, Doug!) I just did. Be sure to see it! Eagles and storms are way better than roller coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Anne. Perfect analogy! You're such a FUN mom.

    I haven't been to Cedar Point in YEARS, but I think I'd be too chicken to ride either of those roller coasters. I used to be brave, now I'm just old and dizzy. *big fat laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have been right in there with the kids. I love risk-taking, always have. Maybe that is why I played baseball with the boys in the '50s (when girls were supposed to play softball), climbed trees as a kid, and joined the Army as an adult (one of the very first female officers in combat support services). It's all been a trip, a flying trip. But, you are right, faith brings even greater risk-taking, as I found out one day when God conked me on the head and pushed me through the church door (about as literally as one can get).

    Anyway, enjoyed your post. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. T. Anne, I smile at the thought of being a hero. :D Anyone who tells the Lord, "Bring it on!" is MY hero!

    Denise, I would've loved to have you with me. Your smile would be a mile wide the whole time.

    Wendy, I don't claim sanity. I also agree that the words "abiding in Christ" are beauty itself.

    Eileen, I'm going to confess that my life at the moment is more like that Millenium coaster. And because I've flown through other challenges, I can feel the difference.

    Julie, my kids keep me young. And I suspect some people do find Dragster scary.

    Elizabeth, I'm delighted to have you here. If I make it back to Cedar Point, you're welcome to join me on every single coaster. An athiest turned Christian is my kind of risk-taker!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)