Blog Archive

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Exhibit D: Commandment


Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
~ Romans 7:12 (NKJV)

You are near, O LORD,
And all Your commandments are truth.
~ Psalms 119:151 (NKJV)

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy... For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
~ Exodus 20:8-11 (NKJV)


Paul continues to build his case for Christ in Romans 7, and brings forth God's commandment as "holy and just and good." C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity also argued that logically, humans could not inherently know good from evil unless a Creator had so defined them first.

Across all cultures, things such as murder, theft, adultery, and lying have long been understood as wrong. In this era of relativism, however, truth is no longer seen as absolute. So permit me to use the commandment as proof of God on something yet considered absolute: numbers.

Solar and lunar cycles define years and months. But how did the day become established on two twelve-hour cycles (as in the Bible)? Why is counting ordered on the number ten (as in the Bible)? I suppose an argument might be made that those numbers easily suited themselves to mathematical equations—but then why aren't both systems the same?

And if mankind evolved, how did cultures which span language and distance and religion all come up with a week measured with the oddball number seven—apart from God and His commandment?

Reason demands that these things could only be defined by God. It also says that if numbers are still rational and real and absolute, so is the immorality of murder, theft, adultery, and lying.

Almighty God, Creator and Redeemer, Your commandment is indeed holy and just and good. It reveals Your Person. It reveals Your promises. It reveals Your plan for our lives if we will but heed You. Please break our resolve wherever we wander from the commandment with which You bless us.

Feedback appreciated! Post to
BuildingHisBody.com "Comments" or e-mail to BuildingHisBody@gmail.com. Copyright 2009, Anne Lang Bundy, all rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, God clearly set our hearts with the course of bare root knowledge and thus defining good and evil. We are without excuse for lot's of things, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, I totally agree sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Anne.

    Relativism has done a great lot of damage to our society, so that our youth think it's simplistic to believe in God. Yet scientific research, which was supposed to be the "cure" for religion, only serves to prove His existence more and more.

    Most fascinating to me are scientists who for years were atheists. They study DNA, they study the genome, and they cannot deny the existence of what they call an Intelligent Designer. His handiwork is stamped on every cell...a single cell so ordered that no man or woman can comprehend it. A single cell in a universe of cells. Who can grasp His wonders?

    Sorry to blather...have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Undeniable proofs. All around as I watch the sun rise as I write this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the word number and run for dear life. :D But, I liked how you tied this all together. I like how God ties it all together.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, this reminds me of an article I read recently arguing God's existence from numbers: http://exotesparemboles.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/an-argument-for-the-existence-of-god-from-numbers-aegn/ Great post! Gwen, as a scientist it amazes me how some are so contemptuous of "Intelligent Design" then spend their lives finding order. Long topic. It comes down to being willing to bow before the Lord before we can understand and accept the gospel. The Holy Spirit must call us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. T. Anne, I don't even try to make excuses with God. He knows the why's.

    Denise, have I told you lately how you warm my heart?

    Gwen, blather on any time. The more I learn about DNA, the more I love it. I even included it in a Psalm 139 exposition that I had to cut out of my first novel. I'm hoping to find a spot for it in my WIP.

    Doug, every sunrise screams "Creator."

    Wendy, I'm weird enough to love numbers. Biblical numerology fascinates me.

    Amy, thanks for that link. I checked it out and linked back to this. I'm loving how many scientists are arguing for "intelligent design," even though too many still resist naming it "God."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)