Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Face of God

As the deer pants after the channels of water, so my soul pants after You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; when shall I come and see the face of God? (Psalms 42:1-2 LITV)

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. (Philippians 1:21-24 NKJV)

He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. ... He who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?
(1 John 2:10; 4:20 NKJV)

If one loves and thirsts after the living God with all heart, soul, mind and strength, how could one not earnestly yearn to see the face of God?

A small child’s delight is to look into a parent’s face. Mature love also delights in working alongside the Father without seeing his face. We are to both be as little children, and stretch to reach the stature of Christ, who literally fed upon work of His Father (John 4:34).

The Father’s first work is to love. Love of God compels love of brother and sister, in whose face the image of God may be seen, while we wait patiently for the day of our reward—the reward of seeing our Creator’s face.

Lord Jesus, surely You longed for our Father’s face while You walked the earth. Sustain us in our longing. Nourish us with the Father’s work of love.

Copyright 2008, Anne Lang Bundy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated and you can expect a reply. If Blogger doesn't accept your comment, or if you prefer
another method, I hope you'll respond via Twitter or email
(see sidebar icons or the "Contact Me" tab, above).

(Comments to older posts and will appear after approval.)